GMC Truck Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
For whatever it's worth, there is a 5% difference between 4.88s and 5.13s. :shrug: You can't go wrong with either. The average person probably wouldn't even notice the slight mechanical advantage during acceleration and the slightly higher RPMs at highway speeds of 5.13s vs 4.88s.

They'll both make a ginormous difference over the stock 3.42s or 3.73. (About a 30% difference.)

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
i heard if you run the proper gears you can go back to stock gas millage and power

:rofl2: dumbass.

As others pointed, your DRAG has increased immensely with the new setup. If this doesn't make sense, you need to take a very basic course in physics.

You will NEVER receive stock fuel economy how your truck is setup, trucks barely squeak into the 20-22mpg range (I've done it) but you have to putz along at 65mph at the most.

You think 2200rpm @ 70mph is too high with 38" tires? It's 2050 @ 65mph... this is on 5.13:1 That's about a perfect cruise RPM to me.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
37s=4.88s
38s=5.13s

i have 37s and 4.56s and its fine, but i also have a cammed 383 with spme pretty decent torque. i used to have 35s with my 4.56s, and that was perfect. making the jump to 37s, i saw a decent decline in gas mileage. listen to what they have said, if you increase your tire size, gas mileage will suffer. your friend that says he is lifted with stock gas mileage is either wrong or he thinks a torsion bar crank and 32s is a lift and bigger tires. imo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
im getting about 13mpg right now (with 35s) i used to have a 2 inch lift with 35s and i got the same gas millage... so i do agree that i have more drag..but i haven't seen any gas millage loss due to it..if i can goto 37s and 4.88s and keep my 13 mpg or maybe even a one or two mpg increase thats all i am hoping for

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
i usually get 11 or 12 with my 383, so 13 mpg for you is def possible, imo

·
Registered
102 Posts
4.88s atleast thats what i was gtoing to go for with just 35s. you really should got with atleast 5.13 or even bigger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You guys are fucking tools, other than the ones that actually answered the question.

Obviously his mpg is fucked and hes ok with it, just asking which option is better given the mpg is more important than performance.

This answered the same question I had, but my concern was more geared (no pun intended) towards saving my drivetrain from stress as much as possible.

Seriously, a lot of you faggots need to go out and chace ass or something instead of being douchebag trolls in your free time.

Thanks for asking OP, your post was helpful.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,851 Posts
You guys are fucking tools, other than the ones that actually answered the question.

Obviously his mpg is fucked and hes ok with it, just asking which option is better given the mpg is more important than performance.

This answered the same question I had, but my concern was more geared (no pun intended) towards saving my drivetrain from stress as much as possible.

Seriously, a lot of you faggots need to go out and chace ass or something instead of being douchebag trolls in your free time.

Hey, fucking tool, 8 year old thread. Good job.

-Tony

·
i like interco
3,269 Posts

Y u mad over an 8 year old thread?

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,636 Posts
be nice, he's from Texas, his dial-up probably just loaded this thread

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 8inch lift on 38s on 26x14s and I'm running stock ass gears and I'll use a half a tank a week if I drive from work and back do normal arrons

21 - 35 of 35 Posts