GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo,

I am not planning on changing out my gears when I put on my lift. Just for future reference, what gears would be best for increased gas mileage?

Also, does anyone have problems with rust on their lifts? What could I do to prevent this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
What kind of truck, which lift, and what size tires are you going to be running?

And you shouldn't have a problem with the lift components rusing, they usually come painted or powdercoated.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
when you lift a truck you will lose milage. different aerodynamics than stock, heavier wheels and tires, extra weight from lift. if milage is a concern dont lift it.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
It all depends on where/how you drive.

City driving/towing: lower gears (higher numerically) will give you better mileage. (4.56, 4.88, or 5.13)
Highway driving: slightly high gears (lower numerically) will give you better mileage. (4.10 or 4.56)

For example, if you are running 35's... 4.56 or 4.88 will give you the best city mileage and they'd be the best for towing. However, if you don't tow and do a lot of highway driving at fast speeds, then 4.10s would probably give you better mileage than a 4.56 or 4.88. A good all-around gear would probably be the 4.56 ratio. (If you're going to run 35's.)

·
Registered
46 Posts
It all depends on where/how you drive.

City driving/towing: lower gears (higher numerically) will give you better mileage. (4.56, 4.88, or 5.13)
Highway driving: slightly high gears (lower numerically) will give you better mileage. (4.10 or 4.56)

For example, if you are running 35's... 4.56 or 4.88 will give you the best city mileage and they'd be the best for towing. However, if you don't tow and do a lot of highway driving at fast speeds, then 4.10s would probably give you better mileage than a 4.56 or 4.88. A good all-around gear would probably be the 4.56 ratio. (If you're going to run 35's.)
I have 315 toyos and a 5 speed and I know i need to regear. that ratio stops me from towing my 24ft toy trailer and is hell on my clutch. so I was thinkin 4.88 for power and I am doing a 3in at the same time so i am geared for taller tires if i want. how lowe are 4.88 gonna be?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I ran 4.88s and 315s for a while. The truck was quicker than stock. Gas mileage was around 13-14 in stop & go traffic and closer to 16-17 on the open highway. The only thing I didn't like about the 4.88s was that my highway RPMs were on the high side. I was pushing 2300 RPMS going 70mph. My current truck barely sees 2000 RPMs going 70mph.

But, towing and acceleration was perfect with 4.88s. If you spend a lot of time on the highway, I'd go with 4.56's though. There isn't a huge difference between 4.56s and 4.88s.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used to spend a lot of time on the high way now my furthest regular trip is 50 miles and that is hauling my trailer. so the gas milege doesnt change much with the gears because that is about what I get now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts