GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys that time is coming where gearing will need to happen. I am wondering what warranty this will void now and what gearing should I get with 36" tires...I dont know what info you might need to tell me so here is all I know. Its a 4.8L V8, ext cab, automatic, 16" rims, 36" swamper TSL radials, 8.5" cst lift, 3"bl. Also where is the best place to purchase gears and how much am I looking at for installation.

Edit: Thinking 4.56 or 4.88 what do you guys think?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
4.88s are a great match for 37-38 inch tires. if you dont mind the few extra RPMs, then definatly get 4.88s. the 4.56s are a decent match tho if you do a ton of freeway driving

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Id vote 4.56 unless your low end torque lover and dont drive at high freeway speeds all the time.

I recomend precision gears.

I cant say how much instal will be, im not sure what going price is in your area. 200-350 an axle is pretty average around here.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Like they said, if you do alot of highway driving then go with the 4.56 but if you just run around town and dont drive at high speeds then the 4.88 will give you more power.

I would say $600 would be a high figure if you leave in the G80 that comes stock. If you have it that is...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
You've got that 4.8 also, so I'd consider those 4.88:1s too. Also, if you ever choose to go to a larger 37-38" tire you'd be good to go there.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well guys ill get some 4.88's. That said how long can I drive around with stock gears before I could mess something up? Also my front rancho shocks wont bolt up the bottom is different then those of stock, any ideas? I just threw the stockers back in for the time being. Kinda lost.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Yeah, you need that special U shaped mount, that slips over the stock lower mount. You probably have the eye mount. I think they make kits that'll fix the mount on the shock itself, but i'd try taking your shocks back to wherever you bought them and exchange them for the right pair. I'm pretty sure rancho has them for the stock gm application.

I think that stock shock will be done for in no time. It has 3" of extra extension on it already, and if your suspension droops, that shock will probably rip itself off the mounts. For the time being, i'd just run no shocks in the front, until you get the right ones.

Where did you buy the shocks from??
Nice truck by the way, it looks really good. I agree with 4.88s

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.