GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im sure someone has done this. any thoughts? i recently acquired a k-10 truck from a co worker. its got a 350 that is 3 yrs old or so seems to run strong and shift out fine but its not a 5.3 or a 6.0. so ive been thinking of putting a gen 3 in it. i have an 06 LQ4 and a 4l65e sittin in the garage waitin on a clean up and put in my 05. so i was thinkin of puttin my 5.3 in the k-10. What tranny would work so i could keep the t-case? is this worth doin? i plan on keepin the k-10 a long time. its straight and solid i just really would like more reliabilitly. its my huntin, fishin, ridin, and beer drinkin truck. i have very little in the truck and wouldnt have very much money parts wise in it. any thoughts? ideas? threads? is this worth doin? thanks guys

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Just about all the OOBS rigs in my club are Gen III powered. You can put TH350's, 400's, SM465s, NV4500's, 60e's, 80e's, whichever behind them. It's all in what the computer is expecting to see. If the tranny doesn't need input from the comp to run, tune it out and you're good to go on that front.

It makes a lot of sense IMO. It fires right up everytime you turn the key, power and economy go up dramatically and you get a motor that will happily run for hundreds of thousands of miles with routine maintenance.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
This was the idea I had for when I rip my 5.3 out of my nbs for a 6.0. more info would be great on this topic.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
dude I go back in forth with this same idea every day with my truck. Do I put a 6.0 on it or do I keep pretty much the same setup and just put a new 383 in... Its such a headache to think about.. I think my main problem is trying to get everything to work cause I hear its a pain to get headers to work on them. if you find any good info could you post? I'm always looking for input on the same idea!

·
Respect mah authoritah!
11,152 Posts
do it! I've ridden in Nicholas' blazer and it's fucking badass!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hey Nicholas, Could you give us a brief run down of what has to be done? I've done so much reading and searching my head spins. Like would you have to change fuel tanks and lines? Headers a problem?

I bought the hard to find electronic speedo np241 a while back to do this swap and the more I think abou it I want to do it even more.

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
it will be easy.

get an engine with harness and computer and a tranny all in one complete takeout from a new truck

you have to do a couple mods to the harness and you will need a new electric fuel pump and probably some fuel pump plumbing.

everything else should be pretty much bolt in

you will get some small block chevy motor mounts and be sure to get the steering box brace for your truck

other than that it will be wicked easy

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks tharf. Your making me consider switching back to doing a 6.0.

I've never heard of having to get a new oil pan?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it will be easy.

get an engine with harness and computer and a tranny all in one complete takeout from a new truck

you have to do a couple mods to the harness and you will need a new electric fuel pump and probably some fuel pump plumbing.

everything else should be pretty much bolt in

you will get some small block chevy motor mounts and be sure to get the steering box brace for your truck

other than that it will be wicked easy
thanks guys. i have whats in red. i figure the lq4 4l65e and that harness np241 combo in the 05 dd and the 5.3 4l60e that comes out and its harness something passenger side drop possibly an atlas in the k-10.

few questions about the k truck. i have dual tanks with the switch. wheres the fuel pump? I essentianly have the truck completely apart. anything else i should fix while im in here? known issues?

and yes im looking for a 14 ff/60 or 44 to swap in. i also heard about the steering box ripping the frame

. any other thoughts?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
So with the new computer and everything, do you add a cluster from the new truck to fit the old truck? Like how shortNtall did his?

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
there is a speedo and a tach output that you can wire up to either a factory or aftermarket gauge

1 - 20 of 43 Posts