GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all we should just have an "ask Chris&GGD" thread:imo ....

Anyway, I have some annoying pinstripe stickers on my truck. I tried to heat them up a bit to remove, but they just flake off a little bit at a time. I spent 15 min on one end and removed no more than 1/4 inch.:flame: I'm afraid of doing anything too abrasive as I don't want to damge the finish.

Does anyone have a tried and true method to get this done?

Thanks in advance...:worship:

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
They do sell pinstripe removing wheels, but you have to be careful to not burn your paint. I believe 3m sells one.
I would've taken your approach by heating it up w/ a heat gun and going from there.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Eraser wheel :read:

Fast, effective, a bit messy, although not "idiot proof"... If you lack enough common sense to burn your paint with one of these, well... :ninja: ...IMO anyways...

For pinstripe you don't need to have the drill on high-speed to remove it, just work slow and always move the drill around as you work, it's essentially the same principle as using a high-speed buffer, use it incorrectly and then you'll see damage.

Or you could do as my cousin the oh-so-meticulous body man did on his Expedition...Use a %#$&$%@! razor blade to remove it...that is if you like a huge ass through-clear scratch all the way around your rig :insane:

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or you could do as my cousin the oh-so-meticulous body man did on his Expedition...Use a %#$&$%@! razor blade to remove it...that is if you like a huge ass through-clear scratch all the way around your rig :insane:
:LOL:

That's exactly the kind of crap I do not want....

·
The Woolly One
404 Posts
Anything different for a 12 year old pin stripe? Should it come off (what's left anyway) essentially the same way?

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
If you know how to do it you can remove them with a razor blade. Thats the best way I have found for the older ones. On a newer car just heat it up and pull it off slowly.

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got them off finally with a bit more heat and allot more patience. Now I just need to clean up the residue left behind...

·
Registered
374 Posts
I got them off finally with a bit more heat and allot more patience. Now I just need to clean up the residue left behind...
Tha'ts what I like about the eraser wheel. Might make a bit of a mess but it does it all in one easy step. And fast too :D

Heat gun works as well though :D

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
What about painted on pinstripes? I believe that on one side they have been cleared over (body shop attempted to redo them, and then didnt clear afterwards like hte original).

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
weaksauce.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts