GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im not getting any help on FSC.com so ill try here... about 1 month ago i had my rear end rebuilt... got it back and the first 200miles everything was good, no noise at all everything running good... after a 70mile round trip, on the way back home I started to hear a whining noise, i cant tell where its coming from but the whining noise goes away when u push the clutch in, so i dont see how it could be the rear end if the noise goes away when u push the clutch in.. The trans, T-case, rear end fluid is full... what should i check for now or should i just ignore it....

·
JUGS Racing
1,199 Posts
Try to get the back wheels off the ground and get under while its running and listen.

·
In memoriam...
3,860 Posts
I thought TO bearings typically made noise when the clutch is disengaged (pedal down). When released (pedal up), the pressure is off of them, and they stop spinning.

If this is accurate, I'd say pilot bearing.

But I'm no expert. I always let my mechanic do clutch work for me.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Try to get the back wheels off the ground and get under while its running and listen.

IF on a lift, the risk is not worth it on a pair of jackstands. Yes, I have been run over.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used to get a whining noise in my Camaro. Then I fired my girlfriend and the noise went away.

I agree with FarmTruk, I don't think the TO bearing is the issue. I'd suspect the pilot bearing too. You didn't mention one part though, you said the sound goes away when you push in the clutch. Are we talking while you are sitting still or when you are moving?

Also, rear end noise isn't uncommon. When you had the rear end rebuilt, was it rebuilt with stock gears or aftermarket gears? I'm trying to get a feel for if they adjusted the gears in such a way so that they'll last longer/put up with more abuse. Typically, setups that handle power are a bit noisy but it's generally accepted.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to get a whining noise in my Camaro. Then I fired my girlfriend and the noise went away.

I agree with FarmTruk, I don't think the TO bearing is the issue. I'd suspect the pilot bearing too. You didn't mention one part though, you said the sound goes away when you push in the clutch. Are we talking while you are sitting still or when you are moving?

Also, rear end noise isn't uncommon. When you had the rear end rebuilt, was it rebuilt with stock gears or aftermarket gears? I'm trying to get a feel for if they adjusted the gears in such a way so that they'll last longer/put up with more abuse. Typically, setups that handle power are a bit noisy but it's generally accepted.
yeah while im moving and when i push the clutch in the noise goes away... and im running richmond gears.

·
Registered
172 Posts
yeah while im moving and when i push the clutch in the noise goes away... and im running richmond gears.
Sounds like the rear gears. When you push in the clutch while moving it would unload the gears which would stop the whine. When you release the clutch again it loads the gears and the whine resumes.

I wouldn't worry about it.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
without hearing it personally its hard to tell, have you changed the diff fluid since you broke them in?

my s10 makes noise when im not pushing on the clutch peddle, i think its my throwout bearing having room in the fork

·
Desert Rat
3,705 Posts
:rofljest::rofljest::rofljest::rofljest::rofljest::rofljest::rofljest::rofljest:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts