GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Trying to disassemble my axle, an it seems everytime I do something, I hit a snag. Its old and requires a lot of coaxing to come apart :naughty: . I got my axle shafts out, got the clip, key and spindle nut off the hub, but left the bearings in since its still on the axle. With all of that removed, the drum and hub assembly should come off right? I dont care about the drum or backing plate, since I'm going with discs. I have beat it with a hammer pretty good, but it wont budge, both sides. Are the brakes seized or am I forgetting something? If they are seized, what should I do? Keep rappin em with a hammer?

Steve

·
Registered
601 Posts
This is what I have done for rear drums that are stuck.

Most likely the drums are caught up on the shoes. On the vacumn plate there normally is a slot for adjusting the shoes, if you adjust them in they should clear it. There is a rubber plug you pull out to get to it. There is a tool for adjusting but a screwdriver normally will work.

If that isnt the case, Hammer. That problem is common here in MN. They rust on. I have used heat (torch) to heat em up and then hammer em off. I always hammer in (towards vehicle) is how I have had the best luck. I used a 10 lb. sledge on the last ones I had issues with, other wise I use a smaller half handle 5 lb.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been using just a standard house hold hammer and I tried beating them in like you said. Definately feels like I got more play in the drum now, but it wont come off still. It wiggles, but wont slide off the spindle. It feels like it may still be held on by something? I am replacing all the hub bearings and such, such I tried getting those out with needle nose pliers, no go there. I guess they are just really stuck.

Steve

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sr2003 said:
I have been using just a standard house hold hammer

Steve

You just need a bigger hammer! As I said, I have used a 10LB sledge. I used that last time on a 89 caravan. That was enjoyable. Even a 5lb mallet would be better. Try using some penetrating oil on it and let it soak. If you aren't in a hurry just keep soaking it for a day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not in a hurry really. I have been hitting it pretty hard. If I spin the drum as I try to take it off, I can get it to the point of almost seeing the end of the backing plate.

Steve

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Dont be nice to it, just beat the crap out of it with the biggest hammer you got, it will come off eventually. You wont be able to pull out the outter the bearings yet so dont even bother trying, they have to come out through the inside.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got them off with 2 crow bars and torque'n on em from the left and the right. Two problems tho, as the drums and hub slid off the spindle from me crow bar'n it on the left side, it hit the spindle threads, and put a nice scratch in them. I threaded the spindle nut back on, and it seemed to go on fine, so I guess I didnt hurt anything. The other problem was a little more of a PITA. I got one backing plate off fine with an impact, and then the other one, 2 of the 4 bolts came out clean. The other 2 wouldnt budge. I took the propane torch to em, and got 1 out good, the other wont fucked the threads up. I gotta tap the flange on the end of the tube I guess. Only solution. Its not that bad, but I could get the bolt to spin, but not back out. I have to pry it out and hit it with the impact to get er out. Came loose. Going to have my dad bring a tap home from work, and then I am going to use his 12 ton press at his work to get the lugs out of the hubs and drums to seperate them. Not much more I can do in the garage in short of taking all the lines off and pop'n the diff cover to peak in and drain the fluid. I am not wire brushing it in my garage, lol. It'll get everywhere, including the house and my parents will shoot me.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts