GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a truck site but I could really use some help with another GM vehicle. I have a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am that I am trying to get back on the road after it has been sitting up for around 6 years. We replaced the plugs and fuel filter and drained out some old gas (and of course oil change). When you start it up it will run for a few seconds before it starts to shake and cute off. Pressing the gas makes it cut off faster, also no matter how much fuel I put it it still reads empty. Any thoughts? fuel pump perhaps?

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
Motors need air, fuel and spark. Start isolating what is not reaching the combustion chamber.

·
Lifetime GM supporter.
104 Posts
Check the air box, mice living in it?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
that too. Also put a fuel pressure gage on it and take readings. The low fuel gage may be the tipoff....... bad pump.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok I tested the fuel pressure with a gauge and it never gets above 10 psi when trying to crank then it immediately drops to 0. I hook the gauge up to my truck to make sure it was accurate and it shot up to 50 psi.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Change the fuel pump and filter. Try the filter first and see if its just clogged with crud from the tank. Probably took a shit from sitting in bad fuel for 6 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts