GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I trying to fix my gf girlfriends mustang that was hit by some stupid lady damaging the fender and bumper i have already bought a used fender that is the same color so i wouldnt have to repaint it. My problem i that there is a handpainted gray pinstripe in a straight line across the fender i was wondering if there is a way that i can remove this without having to repaint the whole thing. Her family does not want to put anymore money into this damn ford so i'm on a very limited budget i'm just trying to make it look better so they can sell it for more It has been sitting in my backyard for about a month bc she got a new car thanks in advance

Also it is for sale the damage was nothing serious just a fender bender so if anyone is interested let me know btw it is a 98 v6 with 100,000 it is fully loaded except leather auto. I can get more specific if interested and i can get pics. I know i will get scorned for asking on a chevy website but ohh well gotta get rid of this thing. I think they want to ask $3500

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You can wetsand it if your carefull and than use rubbing compound and buff everything out if the stripe wasnt cleard over.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I agree with what Mike said. If the stripe was put on top of the clear and not cleared over you should be fine by removing it with a high grit paper slowly.

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think it was cleared over atleast it doesnt look like or feel like it is. How much does it cost to get pinstriping done if cheap enough i might just get the rest of the car done it doesnt look that bad but on just one panel it does thanks

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Y2KSierra said:
I agree with what Mike said. If the stripe was put on top of the clear and not cleared over you should be fine by removing it with a high grit paper slowly.
How high of a grit would you recommend.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I'd do 800 and be careful to only sand on the stripe, then work your way to 1500 then 2000 then polish it out with a rubbing compound.

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks i will give it a try this weekend. Hey y2k i think i might pass on those tires so i will let you know soon when i will be sending the money for the shocks and taillights

·
MIA
1,157 Posts
Go to your local paint supply store ... they make a flap wheel that removes pinstripping without hurnting the paint.

Bad thing with wet sanding is that factory clear coat is very thin. You break thru .. it looks like a dull spot.

I would get it striped ... one fender. It would take a striper about 5 mins tops.

·
scooby dooby doo!
26 Posts
If the stripe is paint and not the adhesive type. Make sure that it is on top of the clear and spray it with Easy off oven cleaner. You can buy this stuff at the grocery store. It will wipe off. Just don't leave it on too long. Also use chemical gloves because this will burn your skin.
I did this to my Focus in about 30 minutes and it hasn't harmed the original paint at all. Six months later and there is still no flaws in the paint. The guys that paint numbers and addresses on wreckers use it to remove the old. Trust me it works.

-Josh

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
How about just going to Wal-mart or Autozone or the like and get some pinstriping and just do the whole car, that way it will match .. you probably could put the vinyl stripe over the painted stripe to cover it if you couldnt get the same color .. eaay cheap fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts