GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive already located a 1 ton 14 bolt from an 82' chevy, now im looking for my front dana 60. Can i use any dana 60 or does it have to come from a ford around the 78-79 years. can i use a dana 60 from around the 80's . Also can i make any of my desicions cross-over steering or are only certain models capable of being done this way. who ever replys please hook me up on some serious info so i can start project F*ck A Ford ive already looked at the axle bibles that are linked around here and also at dark eternals page. BY the way man, good luck on the build up. Hollar Back Yall :bowtie:

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
Yeah, you can use any of them, but '78-'79 is strongly recommended because its high-pinion.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
No, all year ford fronts from 77+ are hi pinion. The 78-79 is wanted because it utilizes the 32.5" spring pad width, same as GM. The 80+ models used a 36.5" spring pad width which cause problems with tires over 40", turned to full lock the tires hit the leaf springs. The absolute best scenario is a 78-79 ford 60 front. A GM 60 front will also work since it is a 32.5" spring pad width and any year will work, 77-91. You do have to swap to a pass. drop t-case to use the gm though.

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
willyswanter said:
No, all year ford fronts from 77+ are hi pinion. The 78-79 is wanted because it utilizes the 32.5" spring pad width, same as GM. The 80+ models used a 36.5" spring pad width which cause problems with tires over 40", turned to full lock the tires hit the leaf springs. The absolute best scenario is a 78-79 ford 60 front. A GM 60 front will also work since it is a 32.5" spring pad width and any year will work, 77-91. You do have to swap to a pass. drop t-case to use the gm though.
Interesting, I didnt know that.... but then again, I've never really looked into it. I heard that from a friend-of-a-friend, guess he didnt know what he was talking about. :crazy:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
If you do find a 78-79 Ford D60 front, expect to pay over 1000$ for a rebuildable axle...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
RedneckDude said:
If you do find a 78-79 Ford D60 front, expect to pay over 1000$ for a rebuildable axle...
If I had to do it all over again I would just link up the front and run some 16x2.5" coilovers. That way I could use a later year ford 60 since I wouldn't need the spring pads and pay alot less for it.

·
Banned
487 Posts
theres thousands of them ford dana44's, and i know where theres several dana60's...no one around here uses them for SFA swaps, nor do they realize what they have.

·
Registered
162 Posts
if you need to ask this question, then yea - you'll need a 78-79 Ford axle...

People such as Jason, possibly DarkEternal, and others would probably be able to make the others work with not a lot of trouble. The Chevy's would just require you to put a different transfer case in your truck (via adapter, or divorced case), and the spring pad width on the 36.5" width axles wouldn't matter much if you could build a coil or coilover suspension with 4-link and all. I don't know if I have the balls to do that on a DD, but I do know how... :crazy:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
willyswanter said:
If I had to do it all over again I would just link up the front and run some 16x2.5" coilovers. That way I could use a later year ford 60 since I wouldn't need the spring pads and pay alot less for it.

so with the coils all i have to do is find a high pinion dna 60 and im ready to roll?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
willyswanter said:
Uh, yeah other than building the entire suspension...

i didnt mean it like that, i mean with the coilovers and reservor shocks, i wont have worry about tire width and pad width would i? could i use any dana 60 or does it still have to be pretty specific?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
If you plan on going with leafs I would recommend a 78-79 or a gm axle. If you plan on coil's or coilovers, then you can go with whatever year you want. If you want coils or coilovers all you have to figure out is if you want driver drop or pass. drop and if you want hi-pinion or low-pinion.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
defintly get the 78-79 if your going with leafs. Also make sure to be smart and completly rebuild it. If you need any help let me know, I can do anything from rebuilding the axles to helping you put it on. Im busy for awhile with mine and some other jobs but after a few weeks I can make time. Feel free to hit me up on here or AIM with ANY questions you might have. This is a HUGE project yoru about ready to undertake, so make sure you are ready!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts