GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to lay out the basics and hopefully you guys can help me out -

I'm going to be getting 37" tires, however I am running 3.42 gears right now. Currently I'm running 35" tires and I think it's time to bump it up.
I'm completely new with all of this so bear with me.
I was thinking 4.56 would be sufficient but I'm not sure how it all works. I'm also running IFS so I don't know what also needs to be done there.

The idea of lockers came across my mind. I haven't really taken my truck anywhere lately, so basically at this point its getting some offroad use but majority on road. Would lockers be a good idea to put in at the same time as gears rather then put them in another time down the road? What would be your guy's opinions on that?

Is there anything else I might be missing amongst all of this? Again, I don't know a lot about this kind of thing so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
do 4.88 gears with a detroit true trac which its better to do it all at once

ifs should be fine

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
4.88's for sure, gears help so much man. I don't knwo what I would do without them. It's like your truck gets a re-birth at life when you get new gears

·
Registered
505 Posts
4.88s are perfect for 37s, you won't regret it.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4.88 sounds good to me. Do I need to worry about anything for the IFS or will it not matter? Again, I have no clue how that all works out.

It's been said to do it all at once, which I totally agree with, due to making it a hassle of doing it at separate times.

As far as lockers go, v6offroad mentioned Detroit True Trac. Are there any other ideas out there along those lines? And yet again, I'm not sure what would suit the situation best.

Thanks guys for the info so far.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
how often do you pull stuff with your truck?

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how often do you pull stuff with your truck?
Towing wise, nothing due to me not having a drop down hitch. But I have definitely loaded up the bed full of crap plenty of times.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
skip the tru-trac, its a good unit. get a full detroit and never worry about it again.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will definitely look into the full Detroit. Are there any other ideas that you guys might think will work out? I'm just trying to throw all the options on the table.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I have a few more gear questions - I'm settled on getting 4.88's, but do I need to worry about the IFS also? Again, I'm not sure how this all works.

The two company's I looked at were Genuine Gear and Precision Gear.
How do you guys feel about these company's?

Also, if I were to buy used gears in perfect condition, would I have to worry about anything with that. Would the gears be broken in already or would I have to do it?

Thanks guys

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
OK, I have a few more gear questions - I'm settled on getting 4.88's, but do I need to worry about the IFS also? Again, I'm not sure how this all works.

The two company's I looked at were Genuine Gear and Precision Gear.
How do you guys feel about these company's?

Also, if I were to buy used gears in perfect condition, would I have to worry about anything with that. Would the gears be broken in already or would I have to do it?

Thanks guys
I wouldn't buy used gears, I have in the past and they made noise, so I ended up buying new gears and having them put in.....ended up costing me double....so skip that if you can....4.88's would be the best ratio for you, the IFS isn't anything different you need to worry about, they make the gears for the front differential so you're ok there.....as for brands, I had Yukon gears put in my rear and they were nice and quiet! Just be sure to go easy on them for the first 500 miles and do the break in procedures...good luck!

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't buy used gears, I have in the past and they made noise, so I ended up buying new gears and having them put in.....ended up costing me double....so skip that if you can....4.88's would be the best ratio for you, the IFS isn't anything different you need to worry about, they make the gears for the front differential so you're ok there.....as for brands, I had Yukon gears put in my rear and they were nice and quiet! Just be sure to go easy on them for the first 500 miles and do the break in procedures...good luck!
So I will need to buy 2 sets of the gears, one for the rear and the other for the IFS dif.? I had thought of Yukon, but haven't really looked at them yet.

With the IFS, they are capable of using the lockers, correct?

Thanks dude for the info.

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
So I will need to buy 2 sets of the gears, one for the rear and the other for the IFS dif.? I had thought of Yukon, but haven't really looked at them yet.

With the IFS, they are capable of using the lockers, correct?

Thanks dude for the info.
No one makes a locker for the front IFS dif, but you'll be able to use a locker in the rear dif...:D

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No one makes a locker for the front IFS dif, but you'll be able to use a locker in the rear dif...:D
My bad... like I said, I know shit when it comes to this.

Ok so here's what I'm thinking -

4.88's front and back
Detroit True Trac

The reason for going with the True Trac rather then the full Detroit is it just seems more practical. Price is also a little better

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Yukons are great gears. Motive is good too. Yukon would be my 1st choice, above all else. They are time tested and very proven.

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
mike, i am stoked you are finally going to do this. Mauro, does putting new gears in void the powertrain warrenty?
I'm not certain.....but if you ever blow a rear end or front end, they will most likely not cover that.....but then again it all depends on the dealer you go to and if you know anyone there.....in my case I know my rear diff won't be covered (since GM will only pay to have the stock ratio put back in) but I know everything else will be covered because I know the service manager and he would help me out.....just depends :D:D

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK so I've been checking out Yukons site and I need some more help.

http://www.yukongear.com/DiffList.aspx?SearchMode=Make&MakeID=3&MakeName=GM+%2f+GMC+%2f+Chevrolet+&ModelID=290&ModelName=1%2f2+Ton+GM+Pickup&Side=Rear

They only offer the 4.88 gears in -

GM 9.5 Years Used on 1/2 Ton GM Pickup: (1988 - 2006)
14 bolt rear with 9.5" ring gear. Has 33 spline c/clip axles. No removable pinion support on the front.

but I know I don't have a 14 bolt

There is no 4.88 set up under their 10 bolt category -

GM 8.6 Years Used on 1/2 Ton GM Pickup: (1999 - 2006)
10 bolt cover with 8.5" ring gear. Hs 30 spline c/clip axles. Differential is found in 99 on up trucks, and will always have disc brakes.

I also do not have disk brakes... :supergay:

Am I just being a complete dumbass about all of this??? I know 2 hours of sleep doesn't help... :insane:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts