GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Getting there
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone

sorry if this has been covered before, but just wondering what is the best way to get wax off of the ext plastic parts such as the big plastic piece on top of the tail gate & rear bumper, got a little spray way splatter on there

thanks!

Mike

·
Lifted 2wd
389 Posts
A little all purpose cleaner and a tooth brush work for me. If it's been on there awhile, just use a stiffer brush.

·
Getting there
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so when you say all purpose cleaner, what specifically? i'm thinking like simple green or something like that

thanks for the reply by the way

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
a little dressing does it for me but if its alot then use some apc and a towel or whatever first then put some on there.

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts
peanut butter.

like no joke. JennaBear said something about it and it works

·
GMFS =/= Real Life!
4,396 Posts

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
I would first say switch to a wax that dosen't do that. Pleaty of options out there that won't cause this issue. I have used a few different things, just depends on the trim reacts. When I get a car with wax on the trim I have used peanut butter and APC like stated above with great results. I also use lemon juice and a toothbrush/detailing brush. The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works well too. Just wet it, wring it out, and lightly rub it on the wax residue and it will come off.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
The supposed "peanut butter method" is doing nothing more than masking the stain by coating it in peanut oil. You could get a similar result by smearing a greasy piece of pepperoni pizza on your trim. I never understood how the PB thing got so much traction.

I agree that your best bet is a little APC and a toothbrush, work in small circular motions, wipe clean with a blast of detail spray and wipe away with a cloth to make sure none of the residual APC stays on the trim as it could potentially discolor if left sitting at full strength.

I'll add fuel to the fire by saying Adams waxes do not stain trim either :read:

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
that was gonna be my next question for you...thats great news.

What do other waxes have in them that cause this that Adams doesnt?
Its not so much that they don't have a specific component, waxes that don't stain trim are formulated so that they don't bond with trim materials. Thats pretty much true of any product that doesn't "stain".

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Its not so much that they don't have a specific component, waxes that don't stain trim are formulated so that they don't bond with trim materials. Thats pretty much true of any product that doesn't "stain".
well then its stupid for any automotive wax mfg to not formulate it that way...theres some form of black textured trim on 99% of all autos

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
well then its stupid for any automotive wax mfg to not formulate it that way...theres some form of black textured trim on 99% of all autos
They are not designing the wax for the trim. But again I wouldn't use a wax that stains trim.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
I'm sure there are any number of reasons they do it the way they do, cost of ingredients, shelf life, etc. At the end of the day its best not to get wax on your trim in the first place IMO... even if it doesn't stain... its just wasted product if it ends up anywhere you don't want it. If it doesn't stain then its just a bonus.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts