GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I must say that these torsion bars were the best 200 bucks i have spent on my truck. with the bars all the way maxed, i rides way better than it did with ford keys not even fully cranked up. Also i got around to modifying my tow hooks to look stock after installing the body lift. It required a little cutting of the frame and drilling one hole per side. check it out..
DSCF0151.jpg

DSCF0152.jpg

DSCF0154.gif

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
Ok, I need a quick lesson, so you replaced your stock bars with GK's from rough country is that correct?

Are you still using ford keys or did you switchback to stock?

Do these give you the lift like ford keys? If so, how much did they give you?
I'd like to know too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to answer the questions here, i installed the rough country bars (actually GM GK bars) with stock keys. i had to swap the bars from side to side and flip them front to back so they would load correctly. i can max out the suspension ( touch the control arms to the upper droop stop) without maxing out the stock keys. i guess you could say the lift is similar to ford keys, but ford keys+worn out sagging torsion bars= shitty ride.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
attaboy

·
Team White!
446 Posts
Thats awesome man! I've been tossing that idea around. So the gk bars can handle cranking a little more I take it? I wonder if I can get the bars and different keys (not sure what kind?) and get about 3 inches lift over stock?

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts

·
DisgruntleD
3,821 Posts
So, if I understand this correctly, if in the spring, I replace my torsion bars on my half ton with GK bars and reuse my stock keys, I will get the same amount of lift as ford keys but a better ride?

Because my truck rides pretty crappy right now with the stock keys maxed out and it still sags in the front. And if I can change out the torsion bars instead of the keys and get a better ride, I'm all for it.

Also, just curious, but if the ride is better, why don't more people do it? Just because ford keys are cheaper?

9,764 Posts
I replace my torsion bars on my half ton with GK bars and reuse my stock keys, I will get the same amount of lift as ford keys but a better ride?
I know that i noticed a much better ride on my 99 tahoe with the new bars over the cranked stock ones.

Also, just curious, but if the ride is better, why don't more people do it? Just because ford keys are cheaper?
I think because it is cheaper and most people are afraid that they heavy bars will ride like shit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Will these GK bars work in 2500HD Diesel?

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
you should have something along those lines in your truck already
Gotcha, wasn't sure. Thought I could use these to lift the front without getting the ford keys. This sounded like a better alternative. Guess I will just have to save for my lift.

·
GMFS Senior OG Member
3,511 Posts
I have ford keys with the stock bars. So what you guys are saying is that with the gk bars & stock keys I can get more height in the front?

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
well 99z's main purpose was for ride quality, but anyways looks damn good man, i like what you did with the tow hooks. Those small details make all the difference.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts