Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Ford Keys

Votes: 3 27.3%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
DisgruntleD
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not jacking 99Z's thread, I figured I would start my own. Truck specs: 2003 Silverado Half ton 4wd Z71, ecsb. 285's, and cranked tb's.

I have ford keys waiting to be installed, I am waiting until spring time. I only want enough lift to clear the 305/55/20's that I have waiting also.

The truck currently rides very rough, I just replaced the shocks with new bilstein 5100's, didn't make much of a difference. The stock keys are maxed out, and the truck still doesn't sit level, which may be reason enough on its own to swap to different bars.

Some have said that the GK bars give a better ride than the stock bars and ford keys, which I'm all for. and for only about 150 bucks more for a smoother ride, it sounds like a good idea to me.

So, what should I do, swap up to some gk bars, or use the ford keys?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
only want to level it get gk bars, if yo want to crank em get both. to make the bars work you need to flip flop the orientation due to the different indexing of NBS. Hopefully hovey can answer you better than i can.

9,785 Posts
without a doubt get the new bars. It was the single best mod I did to my Tahoe and if you crank worn bars they are just going to keep sagging. Do it right and get those GK bars. You will love it.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
GKs are nice because they won't sag like the stock bars will over time. You can still use the Ford keys to gain more height with the RC bars, too.

·
DisgruntleD
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So should I hold on to my for keys for now, and get the GK bars, install them, and if I get the height I want I can sell the ford keys. I don't need much, maybe 2 inches at most, more likely another inch would do it, and if it rides better then I am all for it.

I know, I can use the ford keys on the wifey's avalanche, although it would be an even better candidate for GK bars than my truck even, the damn thing has the bars maxed out right now and its still at least 3 inches lower in the front, they just keep sagging more and more. Maybe I will try the bars on my truck and if they work good and ride better we'll put a set on the avy as well.

·
Team White!
446 Posts
TTT, very interested on thoughts as I may be considering this route

Question 1: Can I buy rough countrys bars from their website (they say its for OBS chevys) Will they work on NBS?

Question 2: Was is the max lift you can get out of these verses the stock 1500 setup

Question 3: If I have Ford keys, I can use these to get even more lift out of the front end?

Question 4: Will I get more lift out of these with less severe cv angles compared to stock suspension?

Sorry for the questions, just want to make sure its what i want before i buy them

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
1) yes, flip them side to side (passenger on driver, and driver on passenger) and front to back
2)Lift is almost identical to just ford keys on 1500 bars but better handling and ride quality (from what i hear)
3)Yes
4)Any sort of cranking will increase cv angle severity

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
can u not get used 3/4 ton bars and do the same?

·
4,725 Posts
You probably won't need to do a flip&switch if you have ford keys, which you may need to use anyway. Rough Country bars are the way to go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good post. I'm looking to do the same add GK bars and ford keys and aal which a friend has couple sets laying around I can have that will fit. GK bars will work with stock keys from what I have read. But I'll probably go ahead and get ford keys just for the little extra lift and will adjust so cv angles aren't to bad.

·
DisgruntleD
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bringing this back up as spring has sprung here, and I am hoping to install either the ford keys or RC bars this weekend. I guess the question I have is if I will need the ford keys with the bars.

Some people have said that they can make out the bars with the stock keys, then others say that you can get more with ford keys. The reason I'm asking is my brother in law wants my ford keys, so if I don't need them then I will give them to him.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Look at pictures of hoveys truck before we lifted it. It was level with just the bars, but if you want to crank beyond level you may need to keep the keys. IIRC hovey could have went a little higher if he wanted to without keys.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Well IDK. Just when you go to put them on put the ford keys and try them, then you can tell us. All this internet knowlege means nothing without actual wrenching to gain the REAL knowlege IMO.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts