GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been working on this after work this last week and layed the first little bit of 'glass today

I just got put on a high profile project at work also so progress will be slow since i want have much time to work on it...

taped everything off
tappedup.gif

base of box
skelton.gif

1/2 done with the first layer
12done.gif

it has a long ways to go but when im finished it should hold two of the deepest 10's ie 10w7/bramha/idmax (not sure what the guy wants to use yet)

let me know what yall think

btw chop cloth fibers sucks when it gets inbeded into your hands

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
firing up? I'm interested on how you are gonna finish off the box... When i built mine, i built the sides, then fiberglassed the bottom in, so the bottom of the box is only like 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick. Just a thought since you said u are going to have the max ammount of depth of the box...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the comments

the box will be front firing kinda like this one

mines going to be slighlty diffrent but should have more airspace and if its too much you can add sandbags to take volume out

the reason i used the mdf peice on the bottom is because fiberglass is not very strong on str8 flat runs it more suited for curves

the only thing i worried about is people kicking the sub with there feet but a good grill should take care of that

out to add another layer....

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Nice job.... But you have got a Crapload of work still ahead of you. My box took me weeks to build.... and I hope you like sanding

Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
looks good so far, keep em posting

·
Registered
169 Posts
Niche_98Chevy said:
Looks good man! I've always wanted to build a fiberglass box, bu I wouldnt know where to start with one....
:word: Does anyone know of a site that gives a good how-to on building a 'glass box?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
04sierra said:
:word: Does anyone know of a site that gives a good how-to on building a 'glass box?
i like this one preety decent
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

a few tips of my own...
wear rubber gloves while touching the mat becasue those fibers suck when they get inbetween your fingers and you cant just wash your hands to get rid of them

pay attention to the weather and mix the 'resin hardner accordingly (if raining just forget about it (almost messed mine up today because i dripped too much hardner in the resin and it set up pretty fast

also buy a nice resiprator cuz glass is very bad for your lungs

last one air bubbles suck but they will happen so get a roller/bleeder

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Downfall said:
i like this one preety decent
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

a few tips of my own...
wear rubber gloves while touching the mat becasue those fibers suck when they get inbetween your fingers and you cant just wash your hands to get rid of them

pay attention to the weather and mix the 'resin hardner accordingly (if raining just forget about it (almost messed mine up today because i dripped too much hardner in the resin and it set up pretty fast

also buy a nice resiprator cuz glass is very bad for your lungs

last one air bubbles suck but they will happen so get a roller/bleeder
:word: Ive been there, done all that stuff. I always had a pair of gloves on, and didn't have much problem with it. I didn't always do it messing with cloth mat, but you have to with chop mat. Use cloth in the larger, flatter areas, and chop around corners. Try to take your time before you mix in the hardener, and try to do it as fast and efficiently as possible before the hardener dries. Also, stir the resin good after you put the hardener in, we had a problem once with it not dryin in a few small spots, i guess from where it didn't get any hardener in the resin. If you need some help, just IM me on AIM, WhatsStuckK5 or RedneckDixieDude

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
I got an unused Desert Sheild gas mask thats great for resin and glue

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
Lol, I was using a dustmask like the people in China were wearing on the streets when that airborn disease was spreading around...what was it, sars or something?
Needless to say I left the garage feeling mighty light on my feet a few times. :rocking:

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
LOL. Ya deifinitely get a respirator, or you'll end up doing the whole glassing process high off your ass. And I usually like to cut out all my pieces before I even mix the resin. Otherwise, it will harden in no time and you wont even have half of it used.

Gloves and really crappy clothes is a good tip too.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
small update 7 layers (dont pay attention to the huge mess in the garage i moved from one project to the next without cleaning it up so thats another project all in itself
P1000918.gif

the majority of those arent air bubles but i will admit a few did get in there but its still strong as hell :rocking:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
the progress is looking great, i started on my under the seat boc, and under the seat center console for my DVD system, just one more box to build then i have to start glassin it :head:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts