GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen it quite a few times and think I may do it to mine, but want to know how to go about fiberglassing the armrests/door pulls on the NBS door panels.

What I thought about doing it, was going over it with my small grinder with a 60 grit disc to scuff it up good, and when glassing it...do I need to lay down pieces of chopped mat over the whole thing? I kind of doubt using just fiberglass resin on the piece would hold very well over time. And then end up smoothing it and painting.

EDIT: Took this pic from another post for reference.

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Isn't there an interior package that had a hard plastic one instead of the soft foam filled handle? I know thats how the work trucks came. That is what they used on Kevins truck to get it smoothed out.

·
Lifted 2wd club
1,137 Posts
Actually fiberglass resin is very strong by itself. The main use of the fiberglass mat/cloth is when you are fixing two pieces together. However a few coats of the resin over the piece and some sanding to smooth out, you should be good. If you have any other questions about fiberglass, PM 'Glassman'. Look at some of his work, amazing! He could definitely help you with projects. :thumbsup:

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll do some looking into a hard plastic armrest probably first, check some junkyards.

I'm apart of fiberglassforums.com, I may ask over there as well.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
console is freekin sweet!

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
I'll do some looking into a hard plastic armrest probably first, check some junkyards.

I'm apart of fiberglassforums.com, I may ask over there as well.
Post up what they say as well. I would be interested because I don't think they made the hard plastic handles for trucks/tahoes that had power windows.

·
Lifted 2wd club
1,137 Posts
Word......if there really are hard plastic armrests......i may definitely be interested. Save come time not having to resin the whole thing then sand it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Appreaciate The Comments On My Console/ Interior!!

I actually Just Painted The Armrests them selves, Due to the flexing in the paint, it does not last more then 3 monthes at a time so I am forced to constantly repaint them. I latly have strongly considered fiberglassing them just havent had the time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts