GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an 06 LBZ and it came with 22" XD Hoss wheels in gloss black. The wheels look great but I am concerned about how much gravel I drive and that it will destroy them.

I've got my Adams Quick Sealent and Americana I know is the basic levels of protection I need. But they won't stop the gravel.

Would it be beneficial or even possible to put some of the clear protective film on the lip of the wheels? I don't imagine having trouble with gravel hitting the spokes, I'm more worried about the 3" or so lip that they have.

Figured you guys would have an idea what would be best. Otherwise I will just go back to stock wheels and be done with it.

Thanks!

·
A Proud Texan
4,156 Posts
film won't stick to the wheels, and you would have to slice it up into pieces if u did it, would be way too much time and the film isn't cheap.

2nd problem, the wheels get really hot it would most likely effect the adhesive underneath, theres really no good way u can seam it up anyways, just deal with what comes from the roads

·
Registered
571 Posts
i'd be more worried about the paint on the lower panels getting damaged from rocks being kicked up before the wheels. I really don't think there is much you can do

·
Your Mother, Trebek.
20 Posts
I think my I may be able to actually offer some knowledge from experience here.

My old job required me to drive gravel roads daily. For the last year and a half I worked that job I began using my 2003 Silverado as my everyday truck, because the old beater work truck finally gave out. Anyways, my 03 has 20" XD Spy's that are gloss black. When I first started driving it every day I wasn't even concerned about it and only after about month, I realized that I was chipping the hell out of my paint where rocks were slinging up because the tires were sticking out past the fenders (I know I'm an idiot, but at the time I held this job I really didn't give shit about detailing). I pretty quickly put some larger fender flares on and then also applied some 3M paint protection film to the panels where the chips were the worst. After that I kept on going about my business and never had anymore problems and I definitely never had any problems with the wheels getting damaged.

My advice would just be to worry more about chips up on the truck and not as much on the wheels. That is just from my experience though, I don't necessarily advise that you just take my word for it. I would definitely keep on an eye on them, but like I've said, I think you will have issues with truck's paint, not the wheels.

·
75 Posts
Physics tells me it's a lot harder for your wheels to kick gravel inside the barrels vs the wheels kicking rocks up on your lower panels. Sure, it's possible that a piece or two could jump into the barrel from driving, but maybe only from the front wheel to the back. I would also think as long as you aren't Ken Blocking your truck all over the gravel, you wouldn't have to worry.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Like they said, not much you can do. Just keep them clean or have them powder coated but even that will chip. You could try a hard coating like CQ Quartz or something like that. It might be a harder sealant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts