GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
03 Silverado in progress
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that on a 03 10 Bolt w/3.73 gears and limited slip diff that you have to buy a new carrier to install 4.56 gears?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not really...but you really should...Especially if your planning on running those 38's. The 10 bolt will hate them tires anyways...The G80 will give up before the fight starts. I thought you decided to run the 4.88's...Thats the way I think you should go.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Is it true that on a 03 10 Bolt w/3.73 gears and limited slip diff that you have to buy a new carrier to install 4.56 gears?
get rid of the G80, its notorious for exploding with larger tires. Even with stock size it fails. Detroit True Trac FTW :imo

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Not really...but you really should...Especially if your planning on running those 38's. The 10 bolt will hate them tires anyways...The G80 will give up before the fight starts. I thought you decided to run the 4.88's...Thats the way I think you should go.
beat me to it

·
03 Silverado in progress
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry I meant 4.88's but thanks for the info guys i appreciate it

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
yeah, while you're opened up and disassembled you may as well drop the extra coin on a TrueTrac to replace the G80.

Maybe look at your brake backing plates too. Mine were rusted to hell and while the axles are out there's no better time to replace those cheap suckers, otherwise it's a huge pain in the ass.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
I think he is asking about a carrier break. No, the GM 10bolts have a carrier break at 2.56 and 2.73. You are possibly thinking of the 14FF and D60 carrier breaks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts