GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought you would find this interesting, especially if your engine makes this noise. i was talking to jeff at GMC's customer assistance center just now, mentioned my engine made an interesting noise when cold. you can barely hear it when the engine is cold, but pop the hood and it's quite evident. he said there has never been any such problem, that there is a common misconception that this is a problem based on what people read on the internet, but in reality there is nothing wrong with the engines. any noise you may hear is normal and does not affect the performance or longevity of the engine. he went on and on, as if GM had given him a script to read about this... which i'm certain they did. he said that he gets many calls about this, but the callers are misinformed and no engine repairs have ever been made concerning this problem. after listening to him for about 5 minutes, i said "jeff, nothing personal, but what you just told me was complete bullshit." i've heard the noise in person, i've read the lawsuits, and i've talked to the lawyers that have filed them, one of which owns a knocking escalade. i thought they'd at least have the decency to admit there is a problem and try to offer some assistance. i can tell by how hard he was trying to deny it that he was lying to me. not really his fault, it's his job to tell people this. this is just wrong, anyone agree? i could not work in a job where i had to lie to people all day. GM is a shady bunch. :nono:

·
Registered
343 Posts
yep sucks big time. my pops 2k sierra 4.8 definitely has CSK

·
Broke
350 Posts
I saw somewhere on the 'net a while back where somebody had apparently scanned a copy of a bulletin where GM said it was a problem and would fix it (this was years ago). Then they scanned another one where GM said they wouldn't fix the problem (prolly after they figured out how big it was and how much it would cost them to actually do the right thing...).

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brodystruck said:
I saw somewhere on the 'net a while back where somebody had apparently scanned a copy of a bulletin where GM said it was a problem and would fix it (this was years ago). Then they scanned another one where GM said they wouldn't fix the problem (prolly after they figured out how big it was and how much it would cost them to actually do the right thing...).
would not surprise me. what i don't understand is how they can save more money by refusing to fix the problem and fucking their customers instead of fixing the problem and maybe keeping some their customers. in the trucking industry, from time to time we have serious problems with big trucks, but cummins and international take care of us and we keep buying their products. if they pulled something like this just to save money, we'd say see ya.

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,533 Posts
Super duper dig..

My 6.0L with 36k knocks like a mofo. And not just for 5 minutes, I can drive home from work (12 miles) takes me about 15 minutes. I pull in my driveway, throw it in park, pop the hood and it's still going at it.

Dealer told me to go fuck yo'self.

I've contemplated replacing the engine, but what guarantees do I have that I won't get another knocker?

:banghead:

I know this is a wicked old issue and there have been millions of discussions, and have visited www.pistonslap.com... This is my first NBS, and that noise is complete bullshit. :rant:

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
My families history with newer generation GM V8's -

Red 2003 Silverado SS - LQ9 - no slap
Silver 2004 Silverado SS - LQ9 - no slap
2001 GMC Sierra - 5.3 - no slap
2000 Chevy Tahoe - 5.3 - no slap
2006 Chevy Tahoe - 4.8 - no slap
2006 Trailblazer - LS2 - no slap
2006 GTO - LS2 - no slap
2005 C6 corvette - LS2 - no slap

Either we're the luckiest mo-fo's on the planet or the "piston slap" problem is all internet hear-say :think:

·
that boat wont float!1!!1
156 Posts
Dylan06SS said:
Either we're the luckiest mo-fo's on the planet or the "piston slap" problem is all internet hear-say :think:
:word:

me, 2003 5.3 no slap, 2000 WS6 ls1 transam no slap, 2004 ls1 GTO no slap.
gramps, 2001 4.8 no slap
uncle, 2002 5.3 no slap

maybe these people dont know that an internal combustion engine makes noise ? :nono: :pow:

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
1BadAction said:
maybe these people dont know that an internal combustion engine makes noise ? :nono: :pow:
I'm not saying that the issue doesn't exist... I just seriously doubt its as wide spread as everyone claims. Knowing how much people like to complain I'd be willing to bet the majority of the people having the issue are mistaking NORMAL operating noise as "piston slap".

People like to complain - I recently had a customer complain that their 63" Fujitsu plasma makes too much noise... we took out dB equipment to the customers house... sealed up the room and couldn't detect any noise at more than 4'' from the TV... and the noise that was detectable was the cooling fan which was barely audible. Turns out the dumb bitch had read about a recall on the internet for the same size plasma, but 2 model years earlier in production!!

IMO people tend to have product hypochondria :read:

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,533 Posts
1BadAction said:
:word:

me, 2003 5.3 no slap, 2000 WS6 ls1 transam no slap, 2004 ls1 GTO no slap.
gramps, 2001 4.8 no slap
uncle, 2002 5.3 no slap

I know what a internal combustion engine sounds like. :pow:

Here, I just went out to my truck and recorded the sounds its making.

You guys tell me if this is normal, and all your trucks make this noise. I doubt it. This sound is NOT normal :imo

http://media.putfile.com/Knocking-60L

Listen close, you can distinctly hear the light ticking of the injectors, but more obviously an odd rapping that is abnormal.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Can't open the file for some reason... but I don't doubt you have the problem man... I just think the majority of people making that claim don't even know what a piston is... let alone what a piston slap sounds like.

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
My truck has it thats for damn sure.It started at about 15k and has gotten a little louder since then...It annoying sitting next to a building or say a drive through and you hear that shit.If i wanted a diesel i would have bought one....

·
Silver Edition
954 Posts
my 99 5.3 that had 116k on it somehow didnt have slap, although it made a ton of other noises to more then make up for it. But im pretty sure my dads 04 with 25k on it has slap...but he already wants to trade in for new again.

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,533 Posts
Can anyone else play the file?

Dylan I'm tellin you man, I've been farting around with motors for a long time, and it dosen't sound right. It may not even be piston slap. If your old SS 6.0 made this noise, you'd be hostile.

I called the dealer again, and explained that I'm getting aggravated - I get comments all the time from my friends - some of which are mechanics saying it may be a collapsed lifter.

The dealer recommended a Top Engine Clense - Which I'm familar with (ie Seafoam) but with GM's TEC

·
NIGHT CREW
2,915 Posts
There was a thread over on pt.net about using top engine cleaner and making the noise go away....The guy who started the thread said he used the EverWear stuff i believe....I'll try to find the thread and post the link...

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
My 2001 with the 4.8 ticked like a motherfucker, my 05 though makes no noise at all.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Denaliano said:
Dylan I'm tellin you man, I've been farting around with motors for a long time, and it dosen't sound right. It may not even be piston slap. If your old SS 6.0 made this noise, you'd be hostile.
You're right.. I'd be pissed too. Maybe I've just had exceptional luck with my GM engines :bowtie:

Only engine problem any of those engines I listed before had was my SS... arond 9k miles it was making a loud tick/tap sound... took it in and it was a stuck lifter... easily fixed under warranty and never had the problem again.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
i will go to the dealership and punch the service manager in the face if my new truck starts to knock....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts