GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just looking for a ballpark figure of what I should expect to pay for an "add-on" warranty.

My '05 has the basic 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. My truck only has 13,000 miles on it, but I plan on keeping it for at least another 4-5 years. I'd like to go through the GM Protection Plan warranty.

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/coverage_choice.html

I'm interested in 5 year/50,000 mile or the 6 year/60,000 mile warranty. I only drive about 8,000 miles a year.

Anyone have any estimates or balpark figures before I go talk to the dealer?

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
I'm just looking for a ballpark figure of what I should expect to pay for an "add-on" warranty.

My '05 has the basic 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. My truck only has 13,000 miles on it, but I plan on keeping it for at least another 4-5 years. I'd like to go through the GM Protection Plan warranty.

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/coverage_choice.html

I'm interested in 5 year/50,000 mile or the 6 year/60,000 mile warranty. I only drive about 8,000 miles a year.

Anyone have any estimates or balpark figures before I go talk to the dealer?
I'm curious as well, I'm planning on going by H&J Chevrolet tomorrow and asking, I'll let you know what I come up with :D:D

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
id say around $1295... if they throw you anything real thigh, its inflated and you can negotiate IMO.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks for the replies.

Would it be smarter to wait until my current warranty is almost up? Like, once my truck approaches the 3 year mark? Or do you think they would deal a little more if I go in right now with only 13k miles on the truck?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious as well, I'm planning on going by H&J Chevrolet tomorrow and asking, I'll let you know what I come up with :D:D
Tell them you have a buddy who wants to extend his warranty too. See if they'll give you a 2 for 1 deal. :D :D :crazy:

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
Well, I just got back from the dealer, and I bought a 3yr/45K addition to my factory warranty for $1575....bumper to bumper :D:D

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice! So in total, you have a 6 year/81k mile warranty?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see. So, do you think it would be better to wait until my 3 yr/36k mile warranty is almost up & then add to it? Or would they give me a better deal if I bought an extended warranty right now? (My truck is 1.5 years old w/ 13k miles.)

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
I see. So, do you think it would be better to wait until my 3 yr/36k mile warranty is almost up & then add to it? Or would they give me a better deal if I bought an extended warranty right now? (My truck is 1.5 years old w/ 13k miles.)

Well here's the thing, I found out that pricing changes on a vehicle at 24,000 miles.....since my truck was so close, he pointed out that if I had waited to come in till I was over 24,000 miles, it would have cost me another $700 for the same plan.....so if I was you, I would wait till you were around 23K and go buy it, but then who's to say they may raise the prices by then....its up to you :D:D

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, thanks for the good info Mauro. :shake:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well here's the thing, I found out that pricing changes on a vehicle at 24,000 miles.....since my truck was so close, he pointed out that if I had waited to come in till I was over 24,000 miles, it would have cost me another $700 for the same plan.....so if I was you, I would wait till you were around 23K and go buy it, but then who's to say they may raise the prices by then....its up to you :D:D
you are somewhat right. but heres where your confused. the faster you buy a warranty the better because it will be cheaper. and usually there is about 500-900 mark up.

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
you are somewhat right. but heres where your confused. the faster you buy a warranty the better because it will be cheaper. and usually there is about 500-900 mark up.

I don't think I'm confused about a thing....I went in for a warranty on a 04 truck with 23,000 miles and got one, the guy mentioned to me that pricing changes at 24,000 miles on my 04 vehicle, I don't see where I'm confused?? I was just merely passing on info...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts