GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I dismissed having no keyholes in my escalade handles but now I decided I am going to do it. Its easy to pop open the hood through the grille and I am going to have two key fobs for backup. Now onto the story, my truck key to my 00 silverado open up my dads 99 silverado. My grandpas 89 chevy key opens up my dads 97 tahoe. I can go on for days with the variety that me and my friends have been trying with each others cars. Last year my dad had a 72 cd case and other personal belongings stolen out of his truck and we believe it was from this. Whats the deal with this? It seems to be safer to not have keyholes. You all probably knew but I just had to vent about it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah, GM is notorious for being easy to break into. It sucks because I would never consider driving anything else but a GM, oh well, I guess I will just have to take the risk.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
A guy I went to high school with had a '00 Silverado that I could unlock, crank, and drive with my keys.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
crazy. I've tried in a few cases, but never happened to me with any of my GM vehicles.
Just a few weeks ago I found a key chain with cheyv keys and "fob" on it and I clicked it in the parking lot to try to find out what vehicle it belonged to, but nothing honked... Kind of makes you wonder how the person drove away without their keys?

Also reminds me a bit of how some old harleys could be unlocked using the key from a coke vending machine, or vice versa, that harley keys could open up some vending machines....

·
Registered
5 Posts
this happened to my stepdad once when he jsut bought his 2005 sierra. he was driving his old 01 silverado that day (now mine), and when he came out of the restaurant, went to a white sierra, which he opened and started with the key to my silverado before realizing it smelled weird and was not actually his truck. He then phone the police thinking his new truck had been stolen before he realized which truck he had actually been driving that day.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
it seems to only be an issue with older key cylinders that are worn down or gummed up. i don't really know how they work, but thats my professional evaluation :thumbsup:

·
Low Life ↓
4,485 Posts
damn thats crazy i guess i gotta try out my dads nbs key lol

my honda was the same shit one day i locked my keys in it and a buddy with the same car was able to unlock it with no problem

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
ive heard of this.

The 300 says no thanks though, i took the guts out of my key one time and couldnt crank my own car.

·
Joseph K
2,536 Posts
Friend of mine with an 03 silverado locked his keys in his truck one night at a party and didn't tell me. He was drunk and had someone drive him home to get his spare keys. Another friend of mine told me where he was, so I went and opened up his truck with my keys and got his out. Then I called him up and jingled his keys in my phone and asked him "what's that sound like?" He answered, "my keys! I wish you woulda told me you could do that before I drove all the way home." :crazy:

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
Yeah, GM is notorious for being easy to break into. It sucks because I would never consider driving anything else but a GM, oh well, I guess I will just have to take the risk.
A worn key from a Saturn or even a worn key by any other manufactuer that will physically fit into the key cylinder will open and start just about any 1991-1997 Saturn S-Series.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
My buddy has 2 gm trucks. A bagged sonoma and a colorado. And his sonoma key will open his 2 and mine.
I locked my keys in my truck just after I moved back home for the summe. The only problem was I had my spare in there 2. A wooden wedge and a 12" pry bar and a 1/4" steel rod that we bent and some rags had me in in 5 mins. After that we tried his key and it worked.

Also just so you know I had to sharpen the end that we bent so it would grip the lock on the door. At least gm tappered those so its harder for theives to get a grip on it with a coat hanger

·
Registered
124 Posts
i used to be able to use my house key or any other flat object to open and start my truck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts