GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just caught a brief news radio announcement about this...has anyone else heard anything? It is suppose to effect 2000-2004 GM fullsize pickups. Something to do with the cables the hold the tailgate...over time they weaken and break. GM stock went down $0.40 because of this...dunno much else though.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Mine are in perfect condition but Ill still get them replaced because I am on the tailgate all the time; jump on it, work stuff on it and heavy equipment.

·
eplingphoto.com
550 Posts
Affects the 99's to and my uncles 96 has the wire ones on it to.. and it's twisted inside..

GM tryed to save a buck by using the wires instead of solid piece of metal and it's costing them more in the end.

·
OG
6,939 Posts
So do we just go up there and ask for new ones

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
That would explain why ebay is saturated with these replacement cables. How do we go about getting new ones?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040318-013800-8864r.htm

Dealers will replace the existing galvanized, braided steel support cables with stainless steel support cables at no charge to owners.

"Our priorities are to ensure that our customers are aware of this field action and provide the replacement cables in as timely a manner as possible," said Kevin Williams, vice president of GM North America Quality.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
That is one step that GM is taking, but they need to take a few more IMO.

·
OG
6,939 Posts
I'll take any thing free :bowtie: .

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Silvlowrdr said:
Think they'll give me a pair if my gate is welded shut? :read:
:LOL: I'd love to see the service writer's face when you brought in your rig with that request...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
So does this recall not include the 99's? I hardly set on my gate, but I don't want them to break. I remember a guy on FSC.com :nono: a long time ago post pics of his NBS ones that broke. They should recall the ABS Modules too.

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
My wifes broke last week. Looks like I'm going to Chevy for a refund.

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
Just got back from Chevy. They said it would be weeks before they hear anything from GM about it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts