GMC Truck Forum banner

181 - 200 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can't wait to do this to my 2013. The clunk drives me nuts. I also got something in the suspension squeaking like crazy when the truck flexes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Scratchin' Gravel
130 Posts
I just finished doing this to my '04 and it helped a lot, I still have a small knock when I go from reverse to drive, but no more while driving!

Update: Just some things I've noticed, figured I'd post them incase anyone was wondering, 1. This Definitely will stiffen the ride in the rear, nothing crazy, but it is noticeable. 2. Without the shims installed, I measure the height of the rear, it does lower the rear end, I'm guessing from the compression of the leafs. 3. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I've been told that with the U-bolts installed without the shims, it can cause problems when hauling heavy stuff, because the overload spring is preloaded, which prevents it from doing it purpose. 4. If you do end up installing these, put the U-bolt on top of the leaf, it looks much more factory and doesn't change anything.

From The Phone

·
The Canadian
3,242 Posts
Where are you guys finding U-bolts short enough? All I can find in my parts stores are u-bolts that fit width wise, but they are too tall, the threaded part doesn't reach high enough.??

·
Registered
104 Posts
worked for me. I found some thick L brackets at lows with holes drilled at 2 1/2''. found some bolts and nuts. Cut them installed and worked like charm.. cost about $10

·
Registered
104 Posts
worked for me. I found some thick L brackets at lows with holes drilled at 2 1/2''. found some bolts and nuts. Cut them installed and worked like charm.. cost about $10
Edit: after further driving i still get a clunk. Might not be as bad. Might try the actuall leaf spring clamp. Anyone think it will work better?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Finally got around to doing this tiday and it works like a charm. I actually think the ride in the rear has improved too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wish I had found this thread while I still owned my '04. That clunked from day one and the dealer just said it was normal. I learned to ignore it most of the time.

·
Dream Workz Detailing
248 Posts
Unfortunately, I did the clamp myself and still clunks like no other. This sucks!! I've also noticed that when coming to a stop the truck bucks a little bit like its downshifting. I don't know what to do, this is driving my nuts. Here's a list of things that I may replace or add; shocks, leaf springs, yoke, u-joints, and possibly add air bags. Let me know what you think I should do first guys. Thank you.

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing, the yoke is where I want to start.
The yoke was my problem, $4.00 tub of marine grease from Autozone fixed it perfectly. Just mark it first before you grease it, takes about 20 minutes to do the job.

·
meow
15,748 Posts
GM service bulletin referenced in this thread says to avoid use on 4x4 vehicles as there is no seal to keep the lubricant from getting into the t-case. So, looking for something different.

·
Registered
32 Posts
White lithium grease. Supposedly the "GM" brand is better. I'm sure it's ridiculously priced at the stealership though.
I worked at a factory here in town for awhile making grease, this stuff is all the same. You can buy the gm brand or the knock off labled stuff doesnt matter. They make it in huge batches and they fill orders for every brand you can think of out there. Dont buy into the brand thing. I can first hand tell you there is absolutly no difference

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a '04 RCV62WD with 34K on it and I've never heard/felt the clunk/chunk. I know what you guys are talking about but I guess my splines are traveling just right and the driveline ain't all loosy goosy.
My leaf springs are nice and lined up also. I *might try the clamp just for the heck of it mainly because with time I have seen leafs shift sideways before.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Holy crap, I thought I had a transmission issue because this is my first full size (and first 4wd/AWD vehicle). Gonna try this as soon as I can and see if it helps!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recently bought a 2005 silverado 4x4 ext cab. I noticed my clunk about a month after owning it. But the clunk isn't the only noise i get. When shifting from drive to reverse and vice versa i get a click or almost like a snapping noise. That has me kinda worried has any one had any major issue come of this noise or is it just an annoyance? When i get the chance im going to have the slip yoke and u joint changed but by the sounds of it even that's a gamble. Looking for any advice or the permanent fix.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a similar situation with my van. It was the leaf springs! I put on a Roadmaster suspension system which is like having a traction bar, sway bar and lift springs all in one. They solved the problem and improved the ride, handling and stance. The price has gone up on them ($350-$450) but well worth the money. I just got a new set off eBay brand new for $325 and I'll put them on everything I own, truck wise. I thought it might be all hype but I've had them on one Van since 05 and they are like the day I installed them. I believe Summit has them if you don't want to use the Web. Just a suggestion from a very satisfied user.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 99 OBS 4x4 Escalade does this also. But it only started doing it after we changed the seal which the yoke goes into and mates to the drivetrain.

It's the most annoying thing! It won't do it from a SLOWWWW start, but if I accelerate normally from a stop. CLUNK. Feels like i've been rear ended. I'm guessing the driftshaft is shifting forward when the truck squats and the yoke is STICKING on the spline shaft?

-Markus

181 - 200 of 204 Posts