GMC Truck Forum banner

201 - 204 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I will be trying this on my Truck this weekend. From the postings, the clamps seem to help/work. I'm sure after 235,000 miles my rear springs are weak. It must be axle wrap.

-Markus

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok guys, Did the spring clamps last night after work. They we're about 7$ each. I applied red loc-tite to the nuts so they wont budge, plus there's spring washers to help lock them in place.

I can say that on my drive to work this morning (18 miles) I did NOT notice any clunking.

The clunk on my truck is quiet for now. I'm surprised at 235000 miles nothing else is making noise!

Thumbs up

-Markus

·
Registered
4 Posts
would have never believed it myself, but I've just installed a couple of "leaf spring clamps"(approx $15/pr) on my rear leafs, ahead of the rear axle, and my clunk is "all but gone"......can make it clunk slightly if I try, but driving normally, its GONE... cant guarantee it will work for everyone, but my truck has low miles & in excellent condition, and has been "clunking" almost since day one. IMO, these 1500 trucks have wimpy rear leafs & axle wrap is the problem, so anyway you can lessen(or eliminate) the "wrap", the less "clunk" you'll experience.:)(fyi, my clamps are 4" from the axle, but I would say 4"-6" would do the trick)
I have been living with the GM clunk for years with my 1990 Silverado. I tried this leaf spring clamp suggestion and low and behold it works! My truck is completely stock so not sure if this will work with a truck that has been modified. Such a relief!(y)(y)

·
Registered
2001 GMC Sierra - 4.3 V6/Auto 2WD
1 Posts
I added leaf spring clamps to my truck and the clunk was completely eliminated. :) It made the ride quite a bit harsher than it was before. I didn't put shims between the leaves as some people did. Will adding shims between the leaves make the ride a little better?

201 - 204 of 204 Posts