GMC Truck Forum banner

GM Yoke Clunk

169K views 203 replies 102 participants last post by  TennMan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Moderator's note: Please read the whole thread, but the solution is especially in posts 28, 31, 35, 50, and 51.

I have read many of the threads on the Yoke Clunk issue. Many of them are not current. Is there any updates or changes to fixing the issue? I read about greasing the yoke, nickel coated yoke and the bouncy ball. Just not sure where to go with this.

Mine clunks on acceleration, braking and sometimes i will be sitting at a traffic light, several minutes pass, then clunk... The tension and stress on whatever is causing is very bothering.

Thanks.

#2 ·
i greased mine, worked great. just make sure you mark the spots on the driveshaft before you drop it and realign after the fact. it usually wont hurt anything, i freaked out when it happened though bc i thought something went bad in my tranny, and it was right after i got it built.

#6 ·
My 2003 ECSB 4wd had a horrible clunk when shifting into reverse and in between the 1-2 shift. The harder/firmer the shift, the less it seemed to clunk. If I drove slow with a really soft/loose shift, it clunked worse. I had the dealer grease the yoke with their special GM grease, but it didn't cure the problem. It reduced the noise by about 40%. I always attributed it to my truck being lifted 10" and possibly not having the yoke fully engaged into the tailshaft. I measured it and it was engaged enough to drive with it, but I still wondered if lengthening the driveshaft would have solved the clunking problem.

I never heard my 2005 RCSB 2wd clunk, but the previous owner said he had the dealer re-grease the yoke under warranty at 10,000 miles. He said it clunked pretty bad on him at times, but it never once clunked enough to have me notice it while I drove it.

My current 2005 1500HD CCSB doesn't clunk at all. This truck has a 2 piece rear driveshaft with a carrier bearing, so maybe this setup is less prone to clunking. My last two trucks had single rear driveshafts.

#10 ·
My current 2005 1500HD CCSB doesn't clunk at all. This truck has a 2 piece rear driveshaft with a carrier bearing, so maybe this setup is less prone to clunking. My last two trucks had single rear driveshafts.
Funny you mention that, I haven't noticed the clunk on my 2001 1500HD either.
My parents 2001 Yukon, however, clunks very loud when shifting from P -> any gear.

#12 ·
Funny you mention that, I haven't noticed the clunk on my 2001 1500HD either.
My parents 2001 Yukon, however, clunks very loud when shifting from P -> any gear.
Yeah, I definitely think the yoke slips in and out of the tailshaft a lot less on a 2-piece rear driveshaft. Just seems like that carrier bearing keeps everything in place a little better.

#13 ·
what exactly does the yoke clunk sound like, I don't believe my 02 Z does it.

#15 ·
i greased mine, worked great. just make sure you mark the spots on the driveshaft before you drop it and realign after the fact. it usually wont hurt anything, i freaked out when it happened though bc i thought something went bad in my tranny, and it was right after i got it built.
I've heard about marking the drive shaft... but why exactly are you doing this? What if I replace the slip yoke... I guess there is nothing to mark then?

#16 ·
what do i grease it with?

#195 ·
I worked at a factory here in town for awhile making grease, this stuff is all the same. You can buy the gm brand or the knock off labled stuff doesnt matter. They make it in huge batches and they fill orders for every brand you can think of out there. Dont buy into the brand thing. I can first hand tell you there is absolutly no difference

#21 ·
thanks guys i am going to do the wifes truck this weekend

#22 ·
Anyone have any luck with the dealer actually replacing anything under warranty? I let my brother in law borrow my truck last weekend to move a piano and now it suddenly clunks like mad. Its very noticeable during the 2-3 shift but I also feeling when coming to a stop. I only have 40k on mine, id like to avoid doing any work I dont have to.

#23 ·
Anyone have any luck with the dealer actually replacing anything under warranty? I let my brother in law borrow my truck last weekend to move a piano and now it suddenly clunks like mad. Its very noticeable during the 2-3 shift but I also feeling when coming to a stop. I only have 40k on mine, id like to avoid doing any work I dont have to.
i got mine replaced under warranty (but the 3yr/36k mile warranty, not the 100k drivetrain warranty). I believe if you take it in, the service bulletin says to grease it (if it is teh first time the truck has been in for this issue) but if it comes in again, then to replace it with the new plated yoke or something like that. I took mine in once and the dealer replaced the yoke all together b/c I asked. I told them I didn't want to come back again in 6 months. the dealer didn't give me a hard time with this request

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.