GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:imo :insane: Hey ya'll

94 GMC Sierra 4X4 on 33's running with a 4.3l V-6. Looking to upgrade to a 5.7l or bigger V-8 for more power. Is the computer going to have to be replaced, can't seem to get an answer on this. What are the difficulties going to be.

I'm an experience mechanic, just never tried to upgrade before

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
gotta get a motor (all acceroies), exhuast manifolds, fan shroud, and a pcm from the donor truck of the years 88-95. It SHOULD be a bolt in.

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
Swapping in a 350 tbi wouldnt be worth the trouble of the swap. I drive one occasionally, and its a dog!!! :anitoof: Look at "farmtruc" and jimmyp and ask them about it, but they swapped in a ls1 camaro engine into their trucks. for you, I'd go with a 6.0 out of a 2500 chevy(2000+) sure it will be a lot of work, but the end result will be worth it

·
GMFS OG Member
760 Posts
CowboyKyle said:
gotta get a motor (all acceroies), exhuast manifolds, fan shroud, and a pcm from the donor truck of the years 88-95. It SHOULD be a bolt in.

The front accesories bolt right on. You can use the stock throttle body but change the injectors. Also add new motor mounts to the list.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Matt said:
i wanna see when you do the swap, something ive been thinkin about for a while
whats a ballpark figure on an ls1 swap, i was thinkin about a couple more cylinders next summer.
A new crate LS1 Fuel Injected Engine with Computer from www.gmpartsdepot.com runs about $6000 and the only thing missing is the accessories, ie water pump, alt, ps.

A new crate 6.0L LQ9 goes for about $3700 but doesn't seem to come with a computer(same source) :shocked:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Only 6 grand for an engine??? :crazy:

I'd go for a built 383, much cheaper. Parts for 350's are so cheap. Remember, if it says Vortec on it, double the price :D

·
professional smartass
5,608 Posts
get a lwo mile one from a wrecked truck only be out a couple of thou for everything yoiu need.....engine tranny etc...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts