GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that it's time to replace my pasenger side UCA, I figured I would first get soem input and advice before I went ahead and just ordered OEM replacements from RockAuto.

My truck currently has the BDS 6" suspension lift with 18x10 wheels and 325/60R18 tires. I have zero plans to run a larger tire or wheel in the future.

I would however, like to also upgrade my TRE's and shocks since I am going basically tear the front down anyways.

So onto the questions:

Given the tire/wheel/lift, would it be worthwhile to upgrade the UCA's to something other than an OEM style? I just have a hard time believing that spending $500+ on some UCA's can make that big off a difference. Also, I want to go with balljoints no matter what the decision is (too much salt/beach activity for the truck).

Onto the TRE's:
I've searched through probably 20-30 threads and can't find a strong suited answer on what a good option is for the GMT-900 TRE upgrade. I saw where some people were talking about the HD upgrade, but again, is there something else out that that will work with my BDS lift and be worthwhile?

Lastly, the shocks that came on the BDS lift are garbage. Can someone refresh my memory on what most people are upgrading to when going with the Bilstein shocks?

Thanks in advance for all the input.

The Truck.

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
I can't help you much on the UCA but I'm in the same boat as you as far as needing to replace one side due to a bad BJ.

I just upgraded my tie rods to the FFR Heim kit from Mike. SOLID kit. This thing is stout and well worth the $240.

I've got Bilstein 5100s on the rear of my truck. The best price I found was from Shockwarehouse.com

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't help you much on the UCA but I'm in the same boat as you as far as needing to replace one side due to a bad BJ.

I just upgraded my tie rods to the FFR Heim kit from Mike. SOLID kit. This thing is stout and well worth the $240.

I've got Bilstein 5100s on the rear of my truck. The best price I found was from Shockwarehouse.com
That's right, 5100's. I'm going to shoot them a message and see if I can use them with my BDS lift. I sure hope so because I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Yeah my front passenger side is supposidly bad so it didn't pass inspection.

I noticed the FFR Heim kit, I'm just wondering if it's a good idea being that I see the OBX 3 times a year and they drop salt on the roads in VA if there is even a rumor about snow/ice. I know that people said don't go with the heim setup for the UCA's if that is the case... so I am wondering if it's the same for the TRE's.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went ahead and bought the MOOG UCA's and then I am going to order the FFR Heim Kit if they say I shouldnt have any issues with the salt in my area.... waiting on a response.

Now I just need to find a vendor on here or locally to sell me the Bilstein shocks I need.

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
I'm heading to the OBX on Sunday and I'll be there for a week. I'll let you know how the FFR kit holds up. Mike told me if they start to make any noise just shoot em with some lube, rock them back and forth a couple times, and you should be good to go.

How much did the MOOG UCA's run you?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm heading to the OBX on Sunday and I'll be there for a week. I'll let you know how the FFR kit holds up. Mike told me if they start to make any noise just shoot em with some lube, rock them back and forth a couple times, and you should be good to go.

How much did the MOOG UCA's run you?
found them on eBay for $90 shipped each. Better than RockAuto's price of $96 + $15 shipping.

·
Ultra Mega Bro
642 Posts
Dave did you have to do any trimming like we had to on the original tie rods?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I know I had to with the BDS. :eek:kay2:

Doesn't really bother me that I had to do it, but at the same time... kinda wish I just upgraded TRE's. There is a lot of lessons learned with this first lift kit and doing it myself.

Would have's:

Extended brake lines
Upgraded Shocks
Zero Rate Rear W/O AAL
Upgraded TRE's
Upgraded UCA's

Someone should put a kit together like this so I can complain about how overpriced it would be ;)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hey Man! I've got the FFR kit on mine. its great! I love it. I take it to the dunes and run the hell out of my bds lift lol. I take off my hiems a couple times a year and clean them up. I want to run upgraded UCA's and coilovers next summer. I did upgrade my rear springs to 5" lift springs which ride pretty good!

on a side not I'll be in Yorktown in Nov. if you get bored!

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts
Chris I just found this thread again and saw your question. I had Mike cut each rod about 1/2" shorter than his "stock" size. It is perfect. I still have a bunch of adjustment as well.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Man! I've got the FFR kit on mine. its great! I love it. I take it to the dunes and run the hell out of my bds lift lol. I take off my hiems a couple times a year and clean them up. I want to run upgraded UCA's and coilovers next summer. I did upgrade my rear springs to 5" lift springs which ride pretty good!

on a side not I'll be in Yorktown in Nov. if you get bored!
I'll try and keep that in mind lol

Chris I just found this thread again and saw your question. I had Mike cut each rod about 1/2" shorter than his "stock" size. It is perfect. I still have a bunch of adjustment as well.
I'm glad you said this. I wouldn't have even thought about asking for them to be a little shorter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts