GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a free 5.3 engine today from a guy locally. It was blown, the block is bad. He said it was a 5.3 from his 2002 truck. I have a few casting numbers hopefully you guys will help me verify that this is a 5.3 and not a 4.8.

Block: 12567393 (says 4.8/5.3 on it)
Heads: 706
Crank: 12552218 ???

I guess the crank is the tell tale seeing that the 4.8 and 5.3 had the same bore and used the same heads but the stroke is different. The crank does say Mexico on it and the LS1/LS6 book I have says the 4.8 motors were only made in Michigan so I am thinking it is a 5.3, just hoping someone can confirm.

Also, my 02 Tahoe 5.3 has 862 heads, this motor has 706 heads, are one better than the other?? What is the difference??

Help me out if you can. Thanks.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
put a hole in the block? damn.

so... what do you plan on doing with the engine?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not really sure. There are a lot of good parts. The crank is fine, heads, got all the coil packs, 7 rods are good. For free, couldn't say no. My friend owns a machine shop so lets just say I get the family discount on any machine work.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys.....

Anyone know about those 706 heads???

Maka.....why bored?? nothing happenin up in NY tonight??

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
are the 706 heads the same as the 862 heads on my Tahoe?? what is the difference and which is better??
i'm 99% sure the 706 heads are the same as the 862, but the only difference is one head was cast in a sand mold, and one in a metal one, or something like that. someone correct me if i'm wrong and fill in any missing info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts