GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, got my tuned pcm over the weekend, the truck runs like a champ and gains were noticeable right away.

When cruising around in any gear around 1200-1500 rpm, if I take my foot off the gas the trucks keeps going and stays around 1000rpm. With the stock pcm the truck just wanted to stop or at least reduced speed alone, now it feels as if there's no engine braking when I let off the gas. Did you saw the same results with your tune?

Idles fine at around 600rpm

It's an '06 5.3 with 212/218 low lift cam hooker aerochamber & Thorley headers

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Hi there, got my tuned pcm over the weekend, the truck runs like a champ and gains were noticeable right away.

When cruising around in any gear around 1200-1500 rpm, if I take my foot off the gas the trucks keeps going and stays around 1000rpm. With the stock pcm the truck just wanted to stop or at least reduced speed alone, now it feels as if there's no engine braking when I let off the gas. Did you saw the same results with your tune?

Idles fine at around 600rpm

It's an '06 5.3 with 212/218 low lift cam hooker aerochamber & Thorley headers
no help on the Tune but I bet that truck sounds sick.. got any clips?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No clips man, but it isn't loud at all as I still have the cats. In fact I can barely hear it inside the cab. I think I'm going to ditch the cats soon :rocking:

And the Hooker sounds 100% better than the flowmasters everyone seem to have in this town.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
sounds like whoever tuned it has the throttle cracker adjusted in the tune. it will cause it to do this.

·
Vendor
3,605 Posts
Have you given the tune a chance to learn at idle, how many miles are on it? I would also suggest cleaning out your top end, carbon buildup as well as leaks can cause idle issues such as these.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you given the tune a chance to learn at idle, how many miles are on it? I would also suggest cleaning out your top end, carbon buildup as well as leaks can cause idle issues such as these.
I have like 100 miles or less in the tune, I guess I should give it some more time to adjust. Truck idles fine in neutral, as soon as I put it in drive it starts going.

It's not that bad as it sounds though, it's a little bit over what I'd consider normal but it's there.

Anyway, how do I clean the TB? Do I have to remove it or do I just spray carb cleaner through the blade?

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,651 Posts
Anyway, how do I clean the TB? Do I have to remove it or do I just spray carb cleaner through the blade?
is it dirty?

and no, don't just spray carb cleaner through the blade

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved!!!

First I removed & cleaned the TB and noticed a small improvement of the cruise control effect but was still noticeable. Today hit the road and drove some miles to get it broken-in and the truck started feeling a lot better at the end of the day.

A few minutes ago I compared my truck back to back with a completely stock 2005 (same engine, cab, etc than mine) and I can say my truck is 99% there. The tiny bit that's left of this problem I assume is caused by the slightly higher iddle due to the cam, and I can live with that.

Thank you Blackbear, another happy customer here!!

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Problem solved!!!

First I removed & cleaned the TB and noticed a small improvement of the cruise control effect but was still noticeable. Today hit the road and drove some miles to get it broken-in and the truck started feeling a lot better at the end of the day.

A few minutes ago I compared my truck back to back with a completely stock 2005 (same engine, cab, etc than mine) and I can say my truck is 99% there. The tiny bit that's left of this problem I assume is caused by the slightly higher iddle due to the cam, and I can live with that.

Thank you Blackbear, another happy customer here!!

do you have a noticeably higher idle with your cam?? I'll be honest, I haven't noticed mine raise much and I'm running a 220/220 112.

Glad things are working out for you. Was your TB pretty bad? I removed mine to put in a ported unit, and surprisingly, mine wasn't that bad, compared to some of the stories you read.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
this is exactly how mine is before and after the tune? i kinda like being able to get up to speed and then not touch the petal for a good 30 seconds when i'm driving around town.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you have a noticeably higher idle with your cam?? I'll be honest, I haven't noticed mine raise much and I'm running a 220/220 112.

Glad things are working out for you. Was your TB pretty bad? I removed mine to put in a ported unit, and surprisingly, mine wasn't that bad, compared to some of the stories you read.
Well, Justin said it was only raised 25rpm to smooth the idle a bit but Efilive readings show like 100rpm over stock. It's not that noticeable anymore, only a little bit because I'm looking for it, but otherwise the tune is perfect.

How do you like that cam? I got the 212/218 because I got it cheap, like $180 or so with low miles plus a converter isn't needed with it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is exactly how mine is before and after the tune? i kinda like being able to get up to speed and then not touch the petal for a good 30 seconds when i'm driving around town.
I understand and I'm sure it works fine with the large streets you have in the USA, but for me living in Mexico the feeling wasn't good: small streets w lots of traffic, red lights could be as close as 100 yards or less from the next one so you can imagine.

Thankfuly the tune worked fine in the end.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Well, Justin said it was only raised 25rpm to smooth the idle a bit but Efilive readings show like 100rpm over stock. It's not that noticeable anymore, only a little bit because I'm looking for it, but otherwise the tune is perfect.

How do you like that cam? I got the 212/218 because I got it cheap, like $180 or so with low miles plus a converter isn't needed with it.

ah ok, yeah 25rpm, or even 100 down that low, I guess isn't really that noticeable at all.

Sounds like you got yourself a nice deal. Did you do springs or pushrods too?

I got mine as a package, and yeah, I'm lovin' it! Probably could have even gone just a hair bigger, but I have no regrets now. Runs great with a 3600 Yank converter (great upgrade if you're looking to do one, probably even more noticeable than cam alone).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ah ok, yeah 25rpm, or even 100 down that low, I guess isn't really that noticeable at all.

Sounds like you got yourself a nice deal. Did you do springs or pushrods too?

I got mine as a package, and yeah, I'm lovin' it! Probably could have even gone just a hair bigger, but I have no regrets now. Runs great with a 3600 Yank converter (great upgrade if you're looking to do one, probably even more noticeable than cam alone).
Just the cam & yellow springs. The next mod is gears, I have 3.42 now so I'm thinking 4.10 at least with stock tire size (265/70/17).

As for the converter, I would like to get one in the future but at this point I'm thinking on a lq4 or lq9 swap in a few months, but I'm not decided yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts