GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some research i decided i wanted to put a flowmaster on my new truck, 03 RCSB w/ 5.3. I wasnt happy with the other exhaust shops that i had taken my other truck to so i decided to go to Midas, thinking that a more reputable place would do a better job. I got one single in dual out Flowmaster 40 and had them dump it after the axle. It is so quiet. I didn't want it terribly loud but you can hardly hear it unless you really get on it. The worst part is Midas did a shitty job IMO, terrible welds and there is a little leak i can hear. The best part, they charged me $325. I got raped, and i'll never take a vehicle to an exhaust shop again, i have a welder i just thought they would do a better job.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
yeah i got my magnaflow done at midas dumper for 225. the job was well done but i found out later i could of gotten the muffler on summit for 60 bucks and had it installed for 50

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
hmmm.....im going to midas tomorrow to get a price for them to make up an intermediate pipe with a flange and hanger on it from my Y to my muffler...do they madrel bend (thats smooth bends correct?)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the sound of the muffler, i just wish it was twice as loud. I thought it was a ridiculous price. Nobody will ever see that the guy can't lay a bead for sh**, but it just made me mad.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, no mandrel bends at the Midas here.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
you used all new piping from front to back or did you just replace the muffler? I'm hoping you did all new piping

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to just cut out the stock muffler, weld in a Flow, and dump in right after the muffler, maybe would have had to add a hanger. Could have did it myself for less than a hundred bucks. Im pretty pissed right now.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you used all new piping from front to back or did you just replace the muffler? I'm hoping you did all new piping
New piping from about 3 foot in front of the muffler all the way back. But still i think it was way too high.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
definitely way too high....what was it bout the exhaust shops that turned u away?
Well i took my old truck to a shop, and he told me he was putting flowmasters on it, cause thats what i asked for, and he put on some no name knock off because it didnt say flowmaster on it. Plus 2 hangers broke on it within a year, and the tips where too close to my reese hitch and rattled off of it, and he couldnt ever fix it cause he bent his pipes wrong.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i learned this lesson too, but not at midas, but at lous custom exhaust here in mass. i figured since they are a custom exhaust shop itd be mandrel bends and stainless piping. stupid me for not asking before i said yes. cost me 650 for a "stainless" magnaflow and duals out the back and tips. none of the stuff was mandrel bent, stuff was rusting. only thing they did right was tuck the tips nice and close to the body.

just bought a diesel mbrp exhaust for a dmax and bought piping and what not from summit. a friend GMracer cut everything and welded it up. i spent 300 on the cat back, another 60 for mandrels and tubing from summit. all custom from the manifolds down. got a custom mandrel bent exhaust for around 450 all said and done. i feel your pain, we all work hard for our money and sometimes we dont get what we expect. o well lesson learned.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea your right catch2otwo, i guess i learned my lesson.

Besides the fact that i got ripped off, i dont understand why its so quiet. I didn't expect an original 40 series to be so quiet. Maybe because its a single in dual out and not true duals?

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Yea your right catch2otwo, i guess i learned my lesson.

Besides the fact that i got ripped off, i dont understand why its so quiet. I didn't expect an original 40 series to be so quiet. Maybe because its a single in dual out and not true duals?
I know you dont want to change muffs already but go to a 1 chamber Imco, WAY louder than my 40 series I had single in dual outs :read:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might switch to that someday, but im gonna have to live with this for now. At least its not too loud in the cab, thats what i figured would happen, but its hardly noticeable.

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
I might switch to that someday, but im gonna have to live with this for now. At least its not too loud in the cab, thats what i figured would happen, but its hardly noticeable.
have you heard my sound clip? Do a search for threads Ive posted and find the sound clip one

Edit: about 2-4months old

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just heard it, ya it sounds really good. It seems like it sounds pretty much the same as my Flowmaster only louder, which is what i want.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
is performance loss the only downfall to not mandrel bent?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts