GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I baught 2 of the new shallow mount 12's from pioneer and i'll be making my own box for it, they say for volume they need .6-1 cubic foot of air space a piece and i designed my box and got the volume with 5/8 MDF and got like 1.5 cubic feet which is .75 a piece, should i split the box in half so it would act like 2 separate boxes or do i just leave it open all the way through?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k, well im goin on vacation this weekend but i should have the box built next weekend, ill post pics of it when im done, so definately run 3/4 MDF?

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
the split will help more like an internal brace, with that 5/8 you might have some flexing but I doubt it

·
Registered
124 Posts
Slvrpismochevy96 said:
I baught 2 of the new shallow mount 12's from pioneer and i'll be making my own box for it, they say for volume they need .6-1 cubic foot of air space a piece and i designed my box and got the volume with 5/8 MDF and got like 1.5 cubic feet which is .75 a piece, should i split the box in half so it would act like 2 separate boxes or do i just leave it open all the way through?
Yes split the box....especially if you stay with the 5/8 mdf....try to get hdf if you can get it....basically the stiffer you make the box...the better the bass will perform.
So if you don't want to split them (running mono) then use the 3/4....heck they even make 1 inch....

Now If you don't mind some questions...
how deep are the shallow mount 12's?...
do those volumes include the speaker too?...
are you building the box for behind the seat of a reg cab?
and how much did you pay (if you don't mind that is)?
And finally what are you driving them with?

I am running one ten totally behind half the seat in my reg cab 97 and would love to find a way to run two 12s behind the seat...

Bass is very addictive.... :crazy:

·
Registered
124 Posts
DemoN said:
just because you want 12s doesn't mean you are limited to the shollow mounts. you still have plenty of options out there that you can put in a reg cab and still have good leg room.
really?...I would love that if its possible
but first better info for you DemoN
I need the seat jammed all the way back..I am only 6'1" tall but have long legs ...so "good leg room" may not be enough...I need it all...
I have a bench seat and yes I want to keep it (not two buckets)...

right now I have my 10" sub behind the seat (without effecting my leg room at all)...the sony amp I have is mounted on the back wall and my jack is still in the stock location...so both of those can be moved...
but the space left is as wide as the cab but very tall and thin...thats why I thought the shallow mounts might be the answer...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The speaker's mounting depth is only 3-3/8"........pretty much how it was explained to me is that if i wanted good sounding bass and not loose any leg room at all to go with the shallow mount. So...if you are wanting to flat out have a loud ass system then the shallow mount probably isnt for you but if you want all your leg room and still beable to have some good bass in your reg. cab then id go with it

·
Registered
124 Posts
The speaker's mounting depth is only 3-3/8"........
How wide is it there? In other words is it like 4" or 8 inches wide at that 3 - 3/8 point.

I have a box design that would allow for a 3- 7/8" depth and 4 inches wide at the bottom...It would be 1 cubic foot, it fits behind the seat and two of them would fit....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts