GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, tell me if this is "entrapment" or not? For the past couple of days, the highway patrol has stopped at my work and checked out (measured) my truck. The people that live around the area told me. Anyways, they were waiting for me to leave today. As soon as I pulled ou onto the street, the lights were on. Got a ticket for being over height 28"s in the rear and 26"s in the front. Also one for my tint being too dark. Is them stalking me illegal? Why didn't they leave me a note or business card for me to call them?, since they already knew it was over height. I felt like bustin' that cop right in the jaw. I was pissed to say the least. It wouldn't have bothered me if they were just ridin around and saw it, but waiting on me to leave, gimme a break.
$166 for the tickets. He said it will double each time I get caught. Fuck him, lets see him follow me up the side of a hill, hell I could just run his ass over now.LOL Any advice??????

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
That does sound like entrapment but you would have to prove it. I saw just run his ass over :anitoof:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have plenty of people that have seen them and saw them waiting all day there today.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
when they measure if your too high or not, do they measure from the ground to the bumper?

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
Thats perfectly legal. They didnt force you into doing something that you wouldnt have done anyway, so its legal. By definition, entrapment is "To lure into performing a previously or otherwise uncontemplated illegal act". :read:

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
if its bumper height, weld a piece of metal that drops down to the legal height.

if there just waiting for you, go up to them one day and ask them if they want something. Hell, i'd prbly go as far to make sprinklers spray them while they are waiting for you to leave.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2k1slvrdo said:
if its bumper height, weld a piece of metal that drops down to the legal height.

if there just waiting for you, go up to them one day and ask them if they want something. Hell, i'd prbly go as far to make sprinklers spray them while they are waiting for you to leave.

They measured to the bottom of the bumper, but, he told me if I altered or put a drop bumper on it, it would be measured to the bottom of the frame. Can I weld onto the frame to make it part of the frame itself? Maybe some spot welds where I can just rip it off for the shows then reattach afterwards.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That is a bullshit ticket. The lift ticket; that is some :poop: And them waiting on you them mfers must have nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs.

·
rollin stock!
522 Posts
Sorry to hear that but they have done that to me and some of my freinds before. They busted my freind for being way over the limit for a passanger car since a tahoe is not considered a truck. While they busted him for that they let me go since mine is regestiared as a comercial truck. Which sucked for him cause we were the same height.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
thats NOT entrapment.

entrapment means that the cops are getting you to do a crime that you WOULDNT have done if they didnt pursued you to do.

for exampe:

undercover cop trying to sell you $5 worth of pot. you refuse and he keeps begging you and asking repeatdly, then finnaly you give him the $5 to go away and he busts you, that would be entrapment.

lol yeah thats not the clearest example but you get the point

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nothing you can do about it. If they were at your place of business measuring it I would be more than willing to bet you were observed at one point and the officer gave you the benefit of the doubt until he was 100% certain you were over the legal limit. They only way you stand a chance is if your place of business is private property and he went out of his way to measure your truck. Than again you were caught operating the vehicle on a public street/highway so regardless it is illegal. As for your tint ticket, out here is CA they gave give you either a 'fit it' ticket or a regular ticket, first time offenders pay $180 for the tint violation by itself. If your breaking the law, your breaking the law and thats all there is to it.

·
rollin stock!
522 Posts
Hey Bryan i heard that now here in Cali its no longer a fix it for the tint? is that true?

·
Registered
658 Posts
im no expert....but i was talking to one guy whos got a lifted truck and he was telling me that he welded a piece of metal to the frame so that he wouldnt be to high......

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
yup nothing wrong with them measuring it. anyone can tell by its rediculous size that its over the legal limit. if i were you i would stop driving it to avoid tickets :anitoof:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I heard that as well but we had a discussion about this at work the other day and to my understanding it is up to the officer writing the ticket. If they want to be nice they can issue a 'fix it' ticket and you can go to any law enforcement agency and have it signed off. It he really wants to stick it to you the can write you a regular ticket.

Unfortunately the CA vehicle code book is not very clear. It states that technically you cannot modify a vehicle but then it list the frame height requirements. It says you cannot modify the exhaust but then gives you db limits and we have the CARB the approves aftermarket kits that meet their requirements...go figure.

SUVs fall under the stationwagon umbrella per DMV while pickup trucks fall under commercial trucks thats why they were able to site your buddy. All beware when puchasing a new truck, if you piss the dealership off they can mark the wrong box(as in not commercial) on your DMV info and cost you a couple hundred dollars more.

·
Registered
128 Posts
They just changed the lift law in AK from 26in to the lowest part of the frame on A 1500 to the bottom of the door.. A trooper pulled me over last weekend.. to give me a warning for Noise pollution. He said the hole idea behind aftermarket exhaust is for it to sound OEM? and since I'm over limit that My truck was going to be Impounded and I would get a 2 points off my license and a $200 non refundable fine just for being over limit. I don't know what you could do about them stalking you though I'v been stalked plenty of times and I'll have cops sitting by my truck when I walk out of stores..I wonder if there is something we could do about it.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
This is another reason i would never want a truck lifted that high...too unstable, problems from the cops...not much use offroad...good for show, thats about it i guess...

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
yea last summer i got pulled over for the same thing but it was by a local cop who I see all the time at a gas station that a friend of mine owns. Just dont be a dick to the cops and they will repay the favor. All i got was a warning for bald tires and he let me go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts