GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 4 wheel alignment done. The rear is perfect and the front is off by 1 degree on each side. I had it set at 90 PSI which is about 4.5" lower than stock. Damn it rides good too. The guy assured me that I wont have any wear as long as I drive it at 90 PSI. I got out to town tonight and put 90 in the front (after I had it laid out) and it looked lower than what it was aligned at. It was a little cooler tonight could that have anything to do with it? I have noticed that the McGaughy's spindles have bad pos. camber when raised up, but My shocks don't hit my wheels anymore and it feels like I can steer sharper. :head:

There was a "Know it all" that worked there that was telling me I was going to have to lift it up to factory height to get it aligned then he looked directly at my 2 link when the truck was on the lift and asked where I got my 4 link I told him it was a 2 link and it was from IF later on he said something about the 3 link I have. I shoulda told him it was an 11.5 link. I backed it off the rack and laid it out and the boss came out there and told the guy that he was gonna have to do the alignment again cause it wasn't no where near right cause of the camber, after I raised it up he understood. It was pretty funny.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, but what about the height and how at 90 PSI I didn't look like it was at the same height. You have that problem.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Did you measure from the road to the fender before you got it aligned at 90 psi? Another way to do it would be to measure it now on a flat surface, wait a week and then see if 90 psi is the same. I don't see why it wouldn't be? Glad you got it aligned, nothing worse than eating up tires for no reason

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Sounds like you got a cooler shop than I did, the alignment guy bitched some cause he couldnt lift the front end off the ground and had to work around it.

My alignment seems right, if anything I think I have a little positive camber at ride height (which he said was fine) .. my steering wheel isnt centered though, he did lock it down and set it but something must have went amiss .. its not bad though.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
way2hi said:
yep, but what about the height and how at 90 PSI I didn't look like it was at the same height. You have that problem.
I have the same problem. I dont really look at my guages because there never right. I am trying to fix the problem and I think I am going to go with a slower system.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll measure it tomorrow when I get back to workin on it
here's some pics of the spindles, check out the tire wear, the other side is ALOT worse.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
02Silverado said:
I have the same problem. I dont really look at my guages because there never right. I am trying to fix the problem and I think I am going to go with a slower system.
Get some dump mufflers, that helps....

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
way2hi said:
I'll measure it tomorrow when I get back to workin on it
here's some pics of the spindles, check out the tire wear, the other side is ALOT worse.

Justin,
Did you have to cut your inner fenders now that you have the spindles installed?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
groundscraper said:
Justin,
Did you have to cut your inner fenders now that you have the spindles installed?
I was wondering the same thing, but he has another thread going where he is installing new fenderwells in the front to lay out hard! :rocking:

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
bcubed said:
I was wondering the same thing, but he has another thread going where he is installing new fenderwells in the front to lay out hard! :rocking:
Where's that thread?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in the front to lay out hard!
I like the sound of that :)

I had already cut the inner fenders out some because when I laid out the 245/40's touched them. Now that I have the spindles I cut the inner fender out completly all the way to the fender lip and had to cut more upwards. If I didn't have the fenders cut out I'd be doing what we call around here the "Clifty Slant" Now that I have the inner fenders installed I'm gonna have to move my coolant tank, wish I could just cut it in 1/2 and the seal it back together and put it in it's stock location and I'm gonna have to do something with the intake. The new fender sit's almost flush with the firewall also, like less than an 1/8" away from it.

Here's my other post about the inner fenders: http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2392

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still worried about my alignment. When I put it on the rack it was at 100 PSI and when I got it off it was at 90 PSI. So should I drive it at 90 since that's where it was at before he took the alignment thingy's off that mount on the wheels?

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
you won't get it perfect:read: Pretty much everything will throw ur allignment off. HOw much gas you have in your tank, how much you ate for lunch, what you're wearing, if you've got a buddy in the truck, temperature etc. will all change the pressure ur bags read. You won't be able to get it perfect, but if its close, ur tires will last longer. YOu drive a bagged truck, it will eat rubber up incredibly fast

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So if I drive it right at where it's aligned at how many miles should I get outta them? When I was getting ready to put my setup on everyone told me they'd wear normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts