GMC Truck Forum banner

Got one of the RF 6 1/2s installed

2K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  chevydudesixty9 
#1 ·
So I get one of my new RF 6 1/2s installed on the driver side and turn some music on, I shift the sound from the left to right and the stock speaker to me sounds louder and better.
Now some of you might say thats cause RF sucks but honestly what do you guys think it could be?

I cut the clip from the stock speakers and used the wire that came with the RF speakers to connect it to the stock wiring. The wire that it came with is like 20ga or something VERY thin. Could this be the reason? Do I need a larger gauge?

The amp thats powering the mids and highs is a RF punch 250a2

#9 ·
still the stock deck?

#11 ·
It could be that your stock speakers are more efficient at that level... Turn the gain up and watch your stockers die a horrible death and watch the RF shine...

The RF need more power than your stockers to get loud but if you give the RF the recommended power they will out shine your stockers... Turn the gain up a bit and watch the RF get louder and pass the stocker but still sound good... Now listen to the stocker implode on its self...

Your less power handling stockers will get louder with less power but WILL NOT sound as good as the RF with their recommend power at the same level...

After Adjusting your gain and the RF are still not loud and clean, you need more power...

#12 ·
It could be that your stock speakers are more efficient at that level... Turn the gain up and watch your stockers die a horrible death and watch the RF shine...

The RF need more power than your stockers to get loud but if you give the RF the recommended power they will out shine your stockers... Turn the gain up a bit and watch the RF get louder and pass the stocker but still sound good... Now listen to the stocker implode on its self...

Your less power handling stockers will get louder with less power but WILL NOT sound as good as the RF with their recommend power at the same level...

After Adjusting your gain and the RF are still not loud and clean, you need more power...
That's exactly what I was saying. The RF's demand more power, ie, less efficient.

#15 ·
If the rear speakers are those OEM 4X6's, go ahead and unhook them. If you have them tied in with the RF's up front, the 4x6's will be so loud, you won't even be able to hear the RF's. If they're the same exact speakers, go ahead. if they're smaller or different, don't even think about it.

#16 ·
If the rear speakers are those OEM 4X6's, go ahead and unhook them. If you have them tied in with the RF's up front, the 4x6's will be so loud, you won't even be able to hear the RF's. If they're the same exact speakers, go ahead. if they're smaller or different, don't even think about it.
Yea they are the stockers in the back, 4x6s back there huh? If I disconnect them wont that hurt the surrond sound feeling I get? :lol: Maybe I should replace them with some RF power 4x6s?

#17 ·
Or maybe you should just not have anything back there. Seriously, this conversation has happened many times on here. You'll get a better sound without them. Actually, leave them hooked up sharing 2 channels with the RF components up front, then come back here and let us all know how it sounds. If you had a 4-channel amp, that would be fine because you could tone them down with the gain controls, but since you only have a 2-channel amp, you're talking about tying one 4x6 and one side of the components together. Remember the efficiency statement? 4x6's are even louder than the stock fronts at that level. They're gonna be screaming so loud, that you won't even hear the fronts. They'll crap out with distortion before the Rockford's even get loud.

#18 ·
Forgot to mention: Even if you do throw in Rockford 4x6's in the back, it's not really gonna sound better. Use that money for something else. I've done many installs in XC trucks with 6 1/2's up front, and nothing else except for woofers. No complaints at all from the customers.

#19 ·
Or maybe you should just not have anything back there. Seriously, this conversation has happened many times on here. You'll get a better sound without them. Actually, leave them hooked up sharing 2 channels with the RF components up front, then come back here and let us all know how it sounds. If you had a 4-channel amp, that would be fine because you could tone them down with the gain controls, but since you only have a 2-channel amp, you're talking about tying one 4x6 and one side of the components together. Remember the efficiency statement? 4x6's are even louder than the stock fronts at that level. They're gonna be screaming so loud, that you won't even hear the fronts. They'll crap out with distortion before the Rockford's even get loud.
Ok so what ill do is hook up the other RF 6 1/2 listen to it and Im sure youll be right then Ill go from there about disconnecting the 4x6s.

Will these RF punch 6 1/2s be able to handle the whole punch 250a2 without being over powered? They are rated at 50w rms 100w max

#20 ·
Forgot to mention: Even if you do throw in Rockford 4x6's in the back, it's not really gonna sound better. Use that money for something else. I've done many installs in XC trucks with 6 1/2's up front, and nothing else except for woofers. No complaints at all from the customers.
Well then after I disconnect the 4x6s and hook up the other RF what should be my next step?
Am I fine using that 20ga wire that came with the speakers tying them in with the stock speaker wiring?

#24 ·
It's pretty easy to run wires through that door boot, so I'd get at least 16 gauge speaker wire and run directly to the amp. What's your whole system consist of?
1 RF punch 250a2 1 RF power 800a2
1 12" RF power hx2
1 12" eclipse 7200

The reason for the different subs is one of the RFs got lots of dents around the rubber surrounding so I replaced it, the eclipses were way expensive and I wasnt thinking at the time, so I only got one. They sound great working together though.

Other than that its just all stock except for the 6 1/2s RF punches I picked up
Oh and a Pioneer 7600 HU

#25 ·
So really the only thing stock now is the rear 4x6's?

You could do like silversquared did and add a set of kick panels with the same speakers. I'd make sure they fit first because most kick panels only hold 5 1/4's, but I've seen some that do hold 6.5's. By having the same speakers, they'd play at the same volume and one wouldn't overpower the other like the 4x6's would.

#26 ·
So really the only thing stock now is the rear 4x6's?

You could do like silversquared did and add a set of kick panels with the same speakers. I'd make sure they fit first because most kick panels only hold 5 1/4's, but I've seen some that do hold 6.5's. By having the same speakers, they'd play at the same volume and one wouldn't overpower the other like the 4x6's would.
:hmm: which kickpanels would you suggest? If the only ones I can find are for 5 1/4s dont get them? Only get them if I can get 6 1/2s?

I blasted some new LP on the way to work today (CD sucks btw) anyways the stockers were defintely louder but I could tell the RFs were much cleaner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.