GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Not a
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went from a 3.23 to a 4.10 gear ratio. Is it normal for a change like this to set off the service brake system and parking brake lights? It's also making a slight whining noise that the mechanic says just happens when you go with gears that low.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
what brand gears did you go with?

gears should not whine, if they do, then the backlash is not correct. i have heard some gears are a little louder than stock ones (i think motive can be heard a little)

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
I'm not sure it's the rear end making the noise. And my gears are factory GM oem from Randy's ring and pinion (ringpinion.com)
ok AAM gears should be silent. if i were you i'd take the truck back to the guy that installed them and say your backlash isn't correct due to the whining of the gears. a tune isn't going to fix the whining.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
I just put about 50 miles on it and it stopped makin noise. problem solved :)
I wouldn't trust that. There is a reason they made noise in the first place, and that improper setup could lead to problems down the road. And the mechanic that said "gears that low just make noise" doesn't know what he is talking about. My factory 4.10s made no noise at all, and my Precision Gear 5.13s are silent, although I have heard from a few people that Yukon's tend to make a little more noise than most.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Did you do heat cycles?
Lol it took me like 8 hrs to get home from Charlotte when I had mine done since I was following the proper break in procedure. Normally it would take like 1.5 hrs to drive that distance, i swear I walked all over Bass Pro 20 times waiting on them to cool down again.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
Lol it took me like 8 hrs to get home from Charlotte when I had mine done since I was following the proper break in procedure. Normally it would take like 1.5 hrs to drive that distance, i swear I walked all over Bass Pro 20 times waiting on them to cool down again.
:rofljest: It worked out perfect for mine. My house is about 15 miles from the shop where we installed mine so I ran home. Let them cool. Drove to my GF's house. Let them cool. Drove back home that night. let them cool. Drove back to the shop where I worked the next morning. let them cool. Got off work and drove home. let them cool. You get them picture. I cant remember how many cycles it ended up being...:crazy:

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
I wouldn't trust that. There is a reason they made noise in the first place, and that improper setup could lead to problems down the road. And the mechanic that said "gears that low just make noise" doesn't know what he is talking about. My factory 4.10s made no noise at all, and my Precision Gear 5.13s are silent, although I have heard from a few people that Yukon's tend to make a little more noise than most.
I agree, to me it sounds like he doesnt know what hes doing because he gave that BS answer so he didnt have to tear back into it.

The shop that did my GMC did it three times til it didnt whine. He ended up buying new gears and master install and I took him a used kit.

Billy at showoff is a stand up guy :read:

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
lil off topic here, but I have OEM 4.10s that I have run about 10 heat cycles through. I finally moved the truck up in speed. I wanted to see where the gearing started to max out in RPM, so I took it to a highway the other night and opened it up.

I get a loud howling/rumble coming from the rear end at around 90mph? Is this typical? I backed off the throttle and won't go anywhere near that speed now. Just didn't feel right?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts