GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are granatelli maf sensors a good mod? how much power will i gain? just wondering if i got one and then switched over to cold air induction, would i have to get a different one?

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
What year truck do you have? Just curious since your handle is 93gmc and they didn't have maf's yet...just curious.

I would not spend the $$ on a MAF....that 300-350 would be MUCH better spend on a custom PCM by Westers or similar. You'd see better gains from a tuned PCM. I've tried Gran. MAF's on 2 trucks and got basically nothing from them. I was pretty dissapointed and they aren't compadible with NOS or superchargers.

Cameron

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
A Westers would be a MUCH wiser choice over a Granatelli MAF.

·
Registered
2 Posts
aftermarket maf's are shit, just take the screen outta ur stock one. you can do it in a matter of a min. or two, you don't even have to take it all the way off.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Ive run mine with no screen for over a year, no negative effects. It felt like it gave me better throttle responce...

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
De-screening changes flow characteristics of the MAF. Its calibrated tables are tailored to its stock setup. If the screen goes bye-bye, flow characteristics are changed which messes up the MAF tables. If you are gonna de-screen your mass air, get a tune. Get your LTerms where they need to be. If you logged a few WOT runs I bet you will be lean. LTerms will go really + indicating a lean condition. Better off leaving it stock unless your gonna change some tables to counter the de-screenings effects! I had a descreened MAF and it ran ok for a while. Progressively the truck ran crappier and crappier. I ripped out the MAF and replaced with a stocker and it ran fine and still does. On an engine making 500 RWHP, the gains would probably be a bit more since the screen (and MAF in general) becomes more of a restriction at high power levels. A MAF that leans you out will fake out the trans a little, make it think it's got less load. Lean makes the car feel snappier at part throttle and people interpret this as better performance. But it does not necessarily mean that true WOT output
is improved; only if you dont get knock retard!

Thats my .2 cents!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ran one de-screened on my 5.3l I had installed a whipple at 6psi, headers, intake, ram air, plugs/wires, ect. Was making right at 500 HP to the flywheel. It was lean when I cranked it up. Pulled it out and sent it back, telling them that the screen fell out and they sent me another one....

Kyle

·
Registered
378 Posts
i have installed a Z06 mass air and it has worked fine every since then. and nelson performance tune is by far my best mod ever. :naughty:

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Hey guys. Brand new member here. I was reading on another GM forum about the Z06 MAF being used on the truck engines. There was a lot of mixed reactions over there. Has anyone (besides 02denali) done this mod? I tried to do a little research on the web and I've gotten responces from "it doesnt help" to "it actually decreases performance". Any opinions?

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
true... you could also substitute an f-body maf i believe... any GM made MAF will be better than an aftermarket one.... especially overpriced granatelli's.

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
onyx_silverado said:
true... you could also substitute an f-body maf i believe... any GM made MAF will be better than an aftermarket one.... especially overpriced granatelli's.
Well I'm pretty sure that there would be no problems with it bolting right on, but is it really worth the $$ for what gains I might get.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts