·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok well what do you suggest I do? And how do the skins work, do you have to cut out the current tailgate skin and weld this in? Drill out the spot welds on the stock tailgate skin and this one is then spot welded in place?

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Depends in the way you put the skin on. If you put it on like a door skin it'd be a pain in the ass and you'd have bondo on the whole edge of the tailgate. Only othe way would be to cut off part of the skin and weld new part back on which would do the same thing. And I really think that's mostly done on nnbs gates cause all the holes. I don't get how it isn't salvageable? A body man should know how to stretch the metal to where you won't have as bad an oil can.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok maybe I'll take the tailgate by a body shop and see what they can do for me.

·
i like interco
3,269 Posts
When I did my nnbs,I had to go slowwwwww and still got warpage. I'm curious to see a picture of yours. I feel like it might not be as bad as you say.

·
redcrew
1,770 Posts
Just get it to where it won't tin can then pack her full of mud. I ve had tail gates with 1/2 deep mud that looked perfect for years. It's not ideal but it ain't as bad as everyone makes it.

A skin welds up the sides and if done wrong you'll have more mud on the sides and in the middle then just doing one in the middle. You don't want to much filler on the edges.

·
Registered
333 Posts
A trick I learned from a the guy I apprenticed with is to take a 10-12 mm socket put it behind the metal were its oil canning and hit it with a body hammer. Itll make an impression and take the flex out and then you just fill it in with mud. shouldn't be to hard to block it flat. just use a long dura flex block and your good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts