GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I want to paint the factory grill, but not in the mood to sand the black part smooth. I want to keep the chrome band, but paint the rest to match my truck. Is there an aftermarket grill that has the chrome band and the rest is ready to paint, or do I have to sand mine down?

Thanks!

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
When i was looking for my Red NBS, I could never find one. Sanding the black down isnt too bad. It doesnt have to be 100% smooth to look good. I sanded a little, used adhesion promoter, filler primer, then sanded again, followed by base coat, then clear.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
just use high build primer

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
notice we posted at same time :shrug:

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When i was looking for my Red NBS, I could never find one. Sanding the black down isnt too bad. It doesnt have to be 100% smooth to look good. I sanded a little, used adhesion promoter, filler primer, then sanded again, followed by base coat, then clear.
What grit sand paper did you use, does the chrome bow come off easily to have no issues with sanding?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
What grit sand paper did you use, does the chrome bow come off easily to have no issues with sanding?

Chrome bow? meaning that center bar? I think I used 400 grit on all the chrome parts

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts

Your sanding to create a surface for the paint to stick not to remove the chrome

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your sanding to create a surface for the paint to stick not to remove the chrome
I want to keep the chrome strip, just remove it to make sanding easier, then reinstall after I paint the grill.

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the look I want, but in my color.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,692 Posts
Tape it off. No need to remove it. If you could without messing it up

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Its nearly impossible to remove anyways. better to tape like Graystone said.

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tape it off. No need to remove it. If you could without messing it up
Its nearly impossible to remove anyways. better to tape like Graystone said.
That's the plan, thanks guys.

I hope to color match my truck next week, still waiting on one Esky door handle to show up.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
That's the plan, thanks guys.

I hope to color match my truck next week, still waiting on one Esky door handle to show up.
Just make sure if you're painting the "checkered" chrome part of the grill that you sand it good. Mine peeled a little.

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just make sure if you're painting the "checkered" chrome part of the grill that you sand it good. Mine peeled a little.
I'm leaving that stock, but I've also seen inserts I like too. Not sure the plan now, but it's an easy swap if I do.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
I'm leaving that stock, but I've also seen inserts I like too. Not sure the plan now, but it's an easy swap if I do.
good call

·
i like interco
3,269 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but on the hd's I believe it had some plastic nuts holding the bar to the grille. Are the 1500s different?

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but on the hd's I believe it had some plastic nuts holding the bar to the grille. Are the 1500s different?
last i looked, it looked like the plastic from that bar and the grille insert were both melted on the rear of the grille.. looked messy, no plastic nuts iirc

1 - 20 of 29 Posts