GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so this wierd ass grinding noise has been coming from my steering column. i don't know how to describe it, but it makes it for about 2 seconds after i shut the key off and makes it intermittently whenever the truck is running. anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
397 Posts
hovisimo said:
ok, so this wierd ass grinding noise has been coming from my steering column. i don't know how to describe it, but it makes it for about 2 seconds after i shut the key off and makes it intermittently whenever the truck is running. anyone else experiencing this?
You haven't ever turned the wheel all the way one way or another almost bast the binding point? (you know what i mean) If so you may have damaged your steering pump.

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SITNLO said:
You haven't ever turned the wheel all the way one way or another almost bast the binding point? (you know what i mean) If so you may have damaged your steering pump.
i've never forced it, but i regularly turn the wheel lock to lock because the truck is 21' long...

Sevenfold said:
Damn. Wish I could help you. :lemon:
me too. it sounds like there's a fucking gerbil living in the steering column. i'm taking it to another dealer tomorrow to have that fixed, and some other stuff too. it's always made the grinding noise for a second or two after i shut it off, i'm going to drive another sierra and see if it has all the problems mine does. if not, back to plan A. A as in Attorney.

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
SITNLO said:
Not to jack your thread, but what does it mean if your truck does that? Makes a grinding noice when the steering wheel is turned all the way to lock? My truck has been making that noice for a while. It's more of a "feel and sound" coming from the steering. Going to school in the big city, requires close steering calls...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ross said:
Not to jack your thread, but what does it mean if your truck does that? Makes a grinding noice when the steering wheel is turned all the way to lock? My truck has been making that noice for a while. It's more of a "feel and sound" coming from the steering. Going to school in the big city, requires close steering calls...
Not sure exactly. but i know something in the pump is binding and it is not good. Bottom line don't do it.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
For Hovisimos problem . . .. damn thats messed up. Sounds to me like theres something wrong with your steering box. Take it back, Get another truck.

When you turn the wheel to full lock that noise is the pump working hard. I don't think it will make your pump explode but its not a good idea to hold it there for a prolonger period of time.

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whifflebat said:
For Hovisimos problem . . .. damn thats messed up. Sounds to me like theres something wrong with your steering box. Take it back, Get another truck.

When you turn the wheel to full lock that noise is the pump working hard. I don't think it will make your pump explode but its not a good idea to hold it there for a prolonger period of time.
i don't think it has anything to do with the power steering. it makes the noise when the ignition is on but the engine is off, and makes it if i turn on the high beams. it's going back tuesday for this and other problems. doors don't seal, i can hear wind noise... trim around tailgate latch broke and fell off, and factory bedliner is rubbing holes in the paint.

·
GMFS founding member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whifflebat said:
i might have to play with that in photoshop. it might or might not be a lemon. i don't feel like suing unless something major happens. but you can bet if i ever hear cold start knock, that'll be the end of it. toyota will have a 3/4 ton tundra in 2007, and this truck will have to last until then.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Man...that just sounds like too many problems, and some very strange problems, for a brand new truck...even my 13 year old blazer isn't that bad off...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts