GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a few threads in here the last few months or so about people having grounding trouble in their trucks, where do most of yall ground, took me forever to finally find a good ground for my sub amp, still got a little white noise on my hi amp thou...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am grounded there and have alot of noise through my radio. can't stand it. I am having my buddy look for a better spot on the truck with me

·
-Consistantly Retarded-
624 Posts
Chasis

·
Lifted 2wd
773 Posts
My amps are grounded to the rear seat bolts and I have what I guess is alternator whine. Can anyone provide some info about grounding. Like, what size wire (does it depend on the amp?) How long should the wire be?

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Mine's grounded to some sheetmetal on the rear wall that I scuffed with 40 grit to expose bare metal. No whine, nothing.

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
Your ground wire should be as short as possible. Allegedly that helps. Also, painted surfaces make for shit grounds, so remove paint to metal, past primer, then attatch ground. if your worried about rust, i like gm undercoat in a spray can. Its extremely handy for that.

·
GM FOREVER
724 Posts
Make sure ground wire is the same size as your power wire if not bigger and as short as possible to the amp. A good clean surface is key to a good ground. Use multiple spots if needed. Also do the Big 3 upgrade, that should help with the whine along with other benefits!!!

·
S-Marts Top of the Line
191 Posts
your ground wire should be same size or bigger than your power wire, and as short as possible.

all I would do is find a very inconspicuous(sp) place like under some carpet somewhere, or behind a seat...

scratch it up really good so it is completely bare metal, put a loop connector on the wire and drill that bitch into the metal with a metal screw....

·
Registered
254 Posts
all the ground in body it going through pinch welds (not a very good ground). Ground to frame of truck and make another ground from battery to frame of truck to reinforce the ground. Any gound with more than .5ohm is no good...(calculated without the internal meter resistance..)

G

·
I've always done the same as many others have done in this thread. Take spot of the floorboard down to bare metal and bolt a crimp-on eye through that. Seat bolts work can work well if the surface are taken to bare metal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts