GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me just start off by saying I am sooo pissed off right now. I took my truck to the carwash yesterday, and while they were vacuuming my interior out, the guy unhooked the negative wire to my subwoofer and turned all the settings on my amp all the way to the left. I reconnected the wire, but I need some help setting the knobs to the correct position.
PICT0019-1.jpg

Should this switch be on or off?
PICT0020-1.jpg

And a picture of the whole setup just for kicks. 12" Kicker Solo-baric L5 and Kicker ZX750.1 amp
PICT0017.jpg

·
A walking ball of wax
3,549 Posts
He probably knocked it out by accident, and wanted to make sure nothing blew when he plugged it back in, as left is usually lower volume. Pretty reasonable move IMO.

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
He probably knocked it out by accident, and wanted to make sure nothing blew when he plugged it back in, as left is usually lower volume. Pretty reasonable move IMO.
that could be understandable, but if he knew the first thing about audio i think it would have been more responsible to just tell the customer what happened :imo

·
Registered
807 Posts
As far as those settings...I like the gain maaaaybe a quarter of the way up and bass boost nearly at zero. I'd start the crossover at about 100 hz and play with it from there. That's kinda my starting setup everytime and I kind play with em by ear after that.
Pretty much start low and you can always add more...i would set the gain so its pointing at the top of the "N", the bass at the first line...and crossover at 100hz...

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
Sub around 80Hz, I would put the boost about 1/4 of the way, and just set the volume of your radio to where you would consider an audible level of where you normally listen to your music. Then, just start turning the gain up on the amp until it sounds sufficient to you...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Yeah, those settings are all going to depend on the rest of your setup - sub/box, preout voltage, head unit settings, etc etc. Best thing to do is just listen to it and adjust it to where you like it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Turn the 'bass boost' all the way down/off.

Set the Xover between 60&120Hz. 80Hz should be a good number, you may want to adjust it depending on the type of music you listen to, or the other speakers in the truck.

Here are two links to tutorials on how to set gains with out an ocilloscope. One of from jbl, and the other is from another forum, (hopefully its okay to post?). You will need a digital multimeter and some test tones.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3704&hl=gain

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts
I can't really help you, but I fucking hate when people mess with my shit. I brought my truck in twice at the dealership for warranty work and both times they messed with my tv's. They messed with all of the audio controls and the eq on the head unit itself. It pisses me off so much, but you gotta expect that type of shit.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
take it back to whomever installed it :read:
Long story short, the people who installed it did an awful job and I wouldn't take anything back to them. I had the stuff fixed at another car audio place that did a great job, but they don't sell kicker.
I've got it set to how loud it was before, I just needed to know the crossover frequency and the sub sonic filter settings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts