GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, this project is LONG since underway... in fact, its much closer to done. there is still alot to do, ill probably chronicle the rest here.

The cliff notes look like this:

i bought this 03 6.0 3/4t and threw some parts on it

then i did this to it before my SAS plans really got underway

so i got this 06 8.1L 3/4t

some of the same parts, some new parts.

i took the truck to Stainless Works and they custom built a set of long tube headers and full exhaust system. its very well made and sounds (good) nasty without being *******.

then it was time to get serious. seriously serious. i wanted to do an SAS, and even more-so i wanted to link the truck. ive had a half dozen lifted trucks, all bolt on stuff mostly. ive done some other pretty fab heavy motorsports projects with very high success. . i knew i didnt have time to take this on myself. i have very young kids, a couple very busy businesses, and medium to low motivation. i did alot of looking around, talking to folks, and even got a few quotes. the truck ended up at Evolution in Calgary. yes, canada. 36 hrs away.

pics... people like pics. there are hundreds of pics. ive got them all piled on FB at https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHAVOC50?ref=hl

lots of this

and this

and we divorced one of these, which i dont think ive ever seen anywhere else.

which left us here eventually

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
why H.A.V.O.C? why such overkill? and why is it on 35's?

i stole the name from GI Joe. Heavy Articulated Vehicle Ordinance Carrier. im a type 07/SOT manufacturer and own an ammo manufacturing facility (no. dont ask). the truck will have a tactical theme inside and out. Not real overtly or gaudy... in a practical sorta way. i dont want something that looks like Paul Jr built it.

why so overkill. we decided to make something functional, able to mud/crawl/jump, bulletproof, and just plain different. massive was the route we chose. 3 1/2" main tubes on the radius arms is no joke.

why 35's in that pic? i drove the truck in its stock form to EMF to do the work... and had to drive it home lifted. 30 some hours.

it quickly went to 40's

then 46's

then 205s

then 47's

then 285's

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the headlights were terrible. The grill... Eh. I sorta liked it.

I still have the set of 40's... I'll run them here and there. I've got the 47's and I'm going to pick up either a set of 44" bloggers or rockers. Not sure which.

What's left? It just got the transmission freshened up, beefed up, new deeper trans pan, and upgraded cooling. All the suspension is apart and the links and axles got powder coated, the heims and bushing housings all got black nitride coated, and the frame stripped and painted with the KBS paint system. The front and rear axles are getting ARBs and 5.38s. That should all be done in the next week or so. I'm going to mod the front bumper and re powder coat it, build a new roof rack from scratch, and probably a new rear bumper too. Come fall...turbo.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here was the most recent progress in the last 2 weeks

as mentioned, we had to make some jacked-ass jack stands to get the the truck off the ground. 9" of droop is a bitch to overcome.

then we pulled out pretty much everything

the new trans went in at this point and everything got disassembled and coated for the ages.

links out

steering out

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
took out all the removable x-members and had them powder coated in MASH green.

had to disassemble, degrease, and de-coat all this stuff.

getting the coating off sorta sucks. it requires and acid strip and then base neutralizer.

[video=youtube_share;dTJ45FbGeTs]http://youtu.be/dTJ45FbGeTs[/video]

it does come out nice tho. i blasted the parts i needed to in the blast cabinet with a soft media.

i had everything Nitrided. set screws, races, everything...

then i put the stuff back together and took a fancy ass pic.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the other portion of the suspension is made up of a custom made bushing housing. the bushings are actually borrowed from the heavy diesel world. they are used on big trailers. to get them coated i had to press out all the bushings so i bought this really cool 1942 Wilson arbor / 60 ton press combo. its old and ugly, but its built to last forever and i paid about the same as the Harbor Freight crap 20 ton cost.

blasted, nitrided, rinse, repeat

the housing are BIG

then new bushings went back in. i made a push block on the lathe out of aluminum to help push the bushing in. i also spun a delrin recieving plate to keep from pressing against the fresh coating and it has a stop so you dont press the bushing in too far.

· Yake is a Fgt
4,353 Posts
Liked this in the SAS thread but its definitely cool to get some history.

Badass rig man and will be awesome when back together :shake:

· This place sucks dicks
11,140 Posts
Nitrided? Did you feel they were not strong enough as is?

I want this on 47s. And I wanna romp it in Alaska.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
found a better washer and got a pic that doesnt look like i had a s...s..sssseizure while snapping it

also, ill never step foot in a Fastenal ever again. i priced out this set (bolt, 2 washers, nut) at Fastenal- $68.75 and 2 weeks to get them. i stopped at a local ma-n-pa fastener shop- $14.60 and in stock.

axles got power washed, media blasted, power washed, pre-baked, and powdercoated. its alot of prep, but its the difference between powdercoat that lasts and powdercoat that sucks.

1" thick aluminum WFO cover being test fit. its probably the nicest aftermarket cover ive ever bought. ill probably have it PC'd gloss black before final install.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.