GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Never Around
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other thread inspired me to check these out. This is a REALLY nice box for the price. I got a mailer from HF with a coupon for this box for 349.99 (normal 499.99). It is possible to get it about $30 cheaper, but you've got to fill out some form and wait for an e-mail for the 20% off coupon.

Here it is:

The top box was on sale for 299.99 and the side locker was 199.99. I'll probably pick those up later.

I'd recommend this anytime for the home owner.

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
Thanks, though I'm currently trying to find out if it was really Abe Lincoln...
The Truth:

These words are often attributed to Abraham Lincoln, but according to the book They Never Said it: A Book of Fake Quotes, Misquotes, & Misleading Attributions, they are not from Lincoln.

But alas! Lincoln did not say these things. They were written in 1916 by the Rev. William J. H. Boetcker, a Presbyterian clergyman and pamphlet writer. In 1942, a group called the Committee for Constitutional Government gave out a great many leaflets entitled "Lincoln on Limitations" that contained on one side a real Lincoln quote and on the other side the 10 Boetcker statements. Boetcker was credited with his statements on the leaflet, but their proximity in print to one real quote by Lincoln, plus the title of the leaflet, led people to think that Lincoln had said the ten listed statements. They were repeated in many printed sources, and are still regarded by many as authentic Lincoln quotes. Carl Sandburg, Lincoln's most famous biographer, dismissed them as spurious.

The quotes were published in 1942 by William J. H. Boetcker, a Presbyterian minister. He released a pamphlet titled Lincoln On Limitations, which did include a Lincoln quote, but also added 10 statements written by Boetcker himself.

They were:

1. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.

2. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

3. You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.

4. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.

5. You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.

6. You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.

7. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

8. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.

9. You cannot establish security on borrowed money.

10 You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves.
:crazy:

·
Never Around
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Truth:

These words are often attributed to Abraham Lincoln, but according to the book They Never Said it: A Book of Fake Quotes, Misquotes, & Misleading Attributions, they are not from Lincoln.

But alas! Lincoln did not say these things. They were written in 1916 by the Rev. William J. H. Boetcker, a Presbyterian clergyman and pamphlet writer. In 1942, a group called the Committee for Constitutional Government gave out a great many leaflets entitled "Lincoln on Limitations" that contained on one side a real Lincoln quote and on the other side the 10 Boetcker statements. Boetcker was credited with his statements on the leaflet, but their proximity in print to one real quote by Lincoln, plus the title of the leaflet, led people to think that Lincoln had said the ten listed statements. They were repeated in many printed sources, and are still regarded by many as authentic Lincoln quotes. Carl Sandburg, Lincoln's most famous biographer, dismissed them as spurious.

The quotes were published in 1942 by William J. H. Boetcker, a Presbyterian minister. He released a pamphlet titled Lincoln On Limitations, which did include a Lincoln quote, but also added 10 statements written by Boetcker himself.

They were:

1. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.

2. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

3. You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.

4. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.

5. You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.

6. You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.

7. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

8. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.

9. You cannot establish security on borrowed money.

10 You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves.
:crazy:
Nice...sig updated.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
How do the draws slide, I have a couple craftsmans and howmak(sp) i bought on sale and love them

·
Never Around
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do the draws slide, I have a couple craftsmans and howmak(sp) i bought on sale and love them
So far, they're perfect. Ball bearing slides that "lock" or "snap" closed.

I saw the Sears ad today and their top and bottom combo (same size as this) was $1100.
You can get this combo for half that....

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
yeah at least snap on boxes are good, those crapsman boxes are horrible, anything less than the pro series are just trash, and they charge out the ass for them.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
yeah at least snap on boxes are good, those crapsman boxes are horrible, anything less than the pro series are just trash, and they charge out the ass for them.
I tihnk they are all overpriced even though they are SO nice! Ill invest in a shiny new expensive box one of these days...

·
TROLL REVOLT of 2012
2,474 Posts
that box looks clean, i was looking at the boxes and i was thinking about collecting some tools so i can have my own set and not use my dads.

I also bought an power orbital sander this weekend special for 10 buks and i just sanded more interior pieces :)

·
Never Around
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks nice. I like your work bench setup.
Yeah. thats a sick work bench. I need to build one in my shop. We have multiple ones in my dad's shop...I may steal one of his. :hmm:
Thanks guys. I built the workbench after I first moved into this place. I'd like to re-do it and change a few things. Before this box arrived I only had that small Crafstman and I had 2 garbage cans next to it. The other half has a shelf there.
My house is for sale though, so I'm not gonna waste any time or effort on it.

I tihnk they are all overpriced even though they are SO nice! Ill invest in a shiny new expensive box one of these days...
I don't think this box is overpriced, though there are plenty of them out there.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
i hate the craftsman boxes. they feel so damn cheap. i've heard a lot of good things about the HF boxes. Sams club sells a chest for ~350 that seems pretty badass too. i wish i had a garage at school.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts