GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my bags, valves, compressor, and tank for my bags to go on my 72. I have decided that I want to run stainless steel air line versus the DOT hose. Does anyone have any idea where I can find it for a good price? I was thinking that brake line might suffice but I want to be sure... What say everyone?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Braided steel hose or hose that needs to be bended? There's a hydraulic parts store in columbus that sells all different kinds, not sure on price tho.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Whoo.. Have fun with all that. It looks clean as shit. But if you've got an eye for detail then you'll go through ALOT of line getting it right. I've been down that road and its not worth it IMO. Unless your going for a full show truck and all of your line is exposed.

·
//Negative Camber\\
1,050 Posts
Don't do 1/2" line. It sucks to bend that. I was sore for a week.

If I were to do it again I would either do stainless braided line or just DOT line ran very carefully and wrapped in some heater hose or something to protect it. I just don't think it is really worth it. Don't get me wrong. I love my hardline and it does feel real good not to have to worry about anything, but it cost a fortune and was a pain in the ass.

my .02 cents.

Later,
Chad

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If I were to do it again I would either do stainless braided line or just DOT line ran very carefully and wrapped in some heater hose or something to protect it.
Larry @ Innovative Air Suspension had that on his Isuzu and combined with the frame rail as an air tank it looked super clean.
larry5.jpg

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
off topic...
how much is stainless braided line, and where do you get it?

·
Registered
146 Posts
we run all copper lines on our installs. Its really simple if you plan it out. We are finishing up an 84 crew cab on 24's (set up for 26's) I will snap some pics and post them in the pm

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
i use stainless line and fittings at work all the time, pretty simple when you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I personally wouldn't use copper on a bagged truck. I have seem it split a few times. I know people use it on big rigs and busses all the time but i have seen it on bagged trucks mess up.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Forgot to add gravity-werx.com will make you stainless braided. You send it length and fitting ends and you get one in the mail.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I have been doing all SS hardline but im not bending it I have a pipefitter that is doing that for me so I guess Im cheating a bit but it makes my life easy. I am also running 1/2" the guy makes it look so easy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I personally wouldn't use copper on a bagged truck. I have seem it split a few times. I know people use it on big rigs and busses all the time but i have seen it on bagged trucks mess up.
thats probley cause the busses and big rigs do it right. if you do coper you have to keep it from vibrating cause it will work harden and slit like bagged04 said.

if your gonna do it, do it right and go stainless.

when i got my truck it was done in aluminum, couldnt get it off fast enough.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
thats probley cause the busses and big rigs do it right. if you do coper you have to keep it from vibrating cause it will work harden and slit like bagged04 said.

if your gonna do it, do it right and go stainless.

when i got my truck it was done in aluminum, couldnt get it off fast enough.
Exactly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts