GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is their something besides the "Mr. Clean purifier thing" to "purify" my water, something to attach to a hose? what do you guys do?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I doubt there's a cheap water softener "adapter" that would actually work. Postively charged ions like calcium are in hard water and it takes pretty expensive/extensive water softeners to remove these ions.

BTW, I didn't know that hard water evaporated quicker? :think:

What I do is wash sections of my truck at a time. For example: I'll spray the whole truck down, then wash the hood and front end with soap. Then I'll spray the whole truck down again. Then I'll wash one side with soap, and spray the whole truck down again. Then the next side, then the back, making sure to spray the whole truck with water after you wash each section. This helps prevent water spots. When I dry, I'll try to dry sections and keep other sections wet until I get to those areas. It probably takes me an extra 10 minutes, but I don't get any water spots.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just use your air hose from your compressor if you've got 1. I do that especially in the cracks and on my rims. Saves so much time its unreal.

·
Registered
370 Posts
yeah, compressed air is great for blowin out the cracks and stuff.

I also use it to blow out any of the shit under the seats that i cant get to with the vacuum. just make sure you do it before dash, windows, or anything else interior cause sometimes the stuff blows all over the place.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Run the outside through the water softener first. One of the 3 here comes direct from the softener. It just a pipe, a spicket and valve inside the house.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
griotsgarage offers an inline filter but i think its pretty pricey...

i rarely wash cars at the house... depending on the color. my black trucks i always take down to the coin carwash but with my own buckets, mits and soap.
put the first $1.00 or $.75 in to get it going and just fill up the buckets with water... then rinse the vehicle till the time runs out.
then take your time going over with your soap... i dont worry about it drying on you, it will come off with the water pressure.
then about $2-3 to rinse all the soap off and spot-free it... when i get home, its 95% dry and i just chamois the rest of it off and its spot/steakless :read:

one thing i hate about driveway washing, is that once you dry it, water always runs from the mirrors, etc... driving home from the wash gets rid of all that :D

·
GMFS Señor Member
1,326 Posts
I do exactly what Alden does. And then to dry it, I use microfiber towels. I blow on the the underside of the mirrors, the handles, the bottom of the extended cab window, the headlights, and the spoiler on the tailgate. Sure my head starts hurting from blowing so much but it gets the job done. When I'm done with that, I drive around on the highway to get the excessive water out of the cracks. Get home, with the same microfiber towel, go all over the truck again. Then I apply some Meguire's Showshine spray. DONE!

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Kinda off topic, but does high pressure water (from coin carwashes) eat away your wax? I heard this rumor a while ago, and haven't used high pressure washers since... At the coin carwashes I use the "purified water" because it's at a much lower pressure, which makes getting the soap and dirt off harder and takes longer. Is that true?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah high pressure will take your wax off

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
yeah high pressure will take your wax off
Yes, "high" pressure will. Some are not so strong, and are safer. There's 3 of them within miles of each other near me. One of them is like "stream" setting on a garen hose nozzle. Other 2 are somewhat stronger. Good for cleaning shit of your tires and you have time to really clean them. Don't spray real close if you use on and use it rinse off your truck. Back to where it becomes a mist.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Yes, "high" pressure will. Some are not so strong, and are safer. There's 3 of them within miles of each other near me. One of them is like "stream" setting on a garen hose nozzle. Other 2 are somewhat stronger. Good for cleaning shit of your tires and you have time to really clean them. Don't spray real close if you use on and use it rinse off your truck. Back to where it becomes a mist.
agreed. If you HAVE to use a high pressure hose, stand back a few feet at least.

·
GMFS Uber-Member
688 Posts
If anyone's still looking, I found a water softener/sediment remover at Autogeek. Maybe Chris over at Glimmer Glass can find something similar and get it to us for a better price. It seems fairly reasonable, $80 for something that'll save a lot of stress trying to dry without getting spots and some time too.
Here's the link: http://www.autogeek.net/waterfilterkit2.html

Later
Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts