GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Devout Hedonist
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a mild lift with 33-34 inch tires, but wondered about regearing. I'd assume my 3.42 gears would be totally lame. But then, I am kind of surprised at how peppy it has been right off the lot. However, OEM tires are only about 31.5" or so. To step up to a 33" might be rough w/o new gears.

So has anyone here run those 3.42's with a 33-34" tire? How sluggish was it?

Thanks.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
37s and 3.42s. City isnt bad and the few times ive taken it on the highway it sucks.

·
GMFS member
60 Posts
Im at 35's and 3.42's isnt too bad, but when i get the 37's my 4.88's will go on along with my 14 sf. Jameson i would think the opposite ? highway= low rpm, and city= slow as hell.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Im at 35's and 3.42's isnt too bad, but when i get the 37's my 4.88's will go on along with my 14 sf. Jameson i would think the opposite ? highway= low rpm, and city= slow as hell.
Same plans I have... Hopefully within a few weeks!! I don't have issues in the city but on the highway it's got no ballz.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,680 Posts
Yea you have low RPMs on the freeway until you hit any hill then you downshift.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I have 3.23's. A v6. And 33" tires.

It honestly isn't bad. Like stated above the only problem is the highway. It shifts in and out of overdrive a lot. If you don't have a trans cooler get one it will make the poor gearing easier on your trans. I installed the factory one yesterday. In overdrive on my way home from work prior to the install it was between 200 and 215. After the install on my way to work thismorning it was between 145 and 163.

·
Resident Metal Head
5,527 Posts
Hes got 3.42's on an 09. I bet he has a six speed. Different ball game :read:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Oh I didn't see 09. 342s in a 09 is like 373s in a older truck. Atleast that's what I hear

·
Devout Hedonist
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, lots of quick feedback. Thanks.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that it's the 6-speed automatic. I'm not sure if that's a big difference maker, but this truck really seems to be pretty ballsy.

I guess the worst that could happen is I run OEM gears for a while and see how it goes. Then decide later after some road time and more $$ saved.

·
Flying Low
221 Posts
Just got an 09 on 33's and it has 3.42's and it doesn't feel bad at all. I'll probably change gears anyway, but plan on using these for a while. I'm sure it'll feel better once I tune it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
im running 35s on my 06 5.3 4 speed auto with 3.73s and i have plenty up and go in the city and highway so with that new 6 speed and 3.43s you should be fine. they will last awhile but if they do grenade, you can always beef them up to something a lot more stout

·
Devout Hedonist
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im running 35s on my 06 5.3 4 speed auto with 3.73s and i have plenty up and go in the city and highway so with that new 6 speed and 3.43s you should be fine. they will last awhile but if they do grenade, you can always beef them up to something a lot more stout
Sounds about like the setup I just had - 35's/3.73's on a stock 5.4L Ford V8 with the 4-speed auto. No problems there.

·
Devout Hedonist
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you should be fine unless you have the g80 locking diff. Then you've got a ticking time bomb on your hands.
Why is that?

·
Devout Hedonist
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is the connection? Why is the locking diff such a liability? Not trying to argue, just want to learn so I avoid problems!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
It's a poor design. If I recall correctly, one side spins a few hundred rpms faster than the other so it's under a lot of stress when it engages. My housing cracked and split apart which took my Yukon 4.56 gears with it. :nono:

·
GMFS Military Member
304 Posts
had an 01 with 3.73s on 37s, on the highway it was pretty rough. on 33s i dont see it being much of a problem. 5.3l??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts