GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some 12"X60" 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl from Ebay. I want to do the center section of my dash where the radio is and the section where the head light switch is. How does that dash part come off? Simple as the center part is?

I searched but couldn't located any carbon fiber film.

Here is the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0626127655&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I hope it comes out good. I think it will.

·
GMC Owner
1,534 Posts
Yeah the left section comes off the same. And it should turn out ok, the contours around the edges might be tricky.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have wanted to do this on my lt, but I am hesitant, cause I kinda want to colormatch it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's just the standard LT dash I guess with the console. It's just all black. Looks plain. I thought the carbon fiber would look good and break it up. It says you can use a hair dryer to conform to the dash. There are 2 or 3 spots I think will be tricky but I'll give it a try.

I have a white truck. So I don't want to color match it. I hate that look. I thought about painting it the silver that is on the dash and doors.. but those aren't very glossy, so wasn't sure if I could pull off the match on it or not.

I will update this post when I do it. I'll do a step by step on it if anyone is interested in that...

·
not low enough
8,703 Posts
always wondered if its possible to "colormatch" the stock silver trim... i seen a few of the options on paintscratch.com where u could actually match the silver on the stock wheels and stock paints. but didnt see any for the interior trims.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've painted a ton of things before. The only problem I have matching that silver is the shine. It' not very glossy. I can do it all and make it really really glossy.

·
hella cute n shit
7,652 Posts
Budd (budrun) got a bunch of interior parts dipped in carbon fiber film.

Personally, I think it's pretty ricer. Either do real CF, or none at all. :imo

·
bore
2,788 Posts
Why waste the money on real carbon dude? 90% of the general population won't even know the difference.
besides, we dt drive race cars to worry about the weight drop we gain ..lol, plus its not even available . i love carbon fiber, my bike is all carbon fiber

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This stuff is high quality for sure. A hair dryer will make it form pretty well. I used a heat gun and it did it quick.

The dash is a bit of a pain in the ass. But I bet the next time around I could do it better. In fact I am probably going to redo it this weekend. I have enough to redo.

The corners are that bad. I have some wrinkle and I figured how to get rid of those with the heat gun. So here are some crappy ass pictures. Sorry wife has my good camera. Overall, I'd say a pain in the butt. Take your time and this could be done.

It matches the silver nice. It's hardly noticeable in the truck. Which is what I like.. it doesn't POP out at ya.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.