GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Anyone Had Any Transmission Problems Due To The Drive Shaft Moveing Forward When The Truck Is Lowered

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Errr....could you elaborate a bit? What truck, what drop, what components to drop truck. What is your trans problem exactly? when a truck gets dropped the driveshaft could move in slightly but not enough to damage anything. Usually the issue would be an improper driveline angle. The other possibility, depending on what truck and what components you used, aftermarket axle saddles COULD be installed backwards pushing the driveshaft forward instead of keeping it in the right spot....that could be an issue.

If you can clarify a bit I could probably be more clear.

Cameron

·
Registered
342 Posts
If u check out a stock truck, the drive shaft is almost perfectly level from the tranny to the rear. Any change in height would cause the shaft to slide out of the tranny and not into it. The only reason the shaft would push into the tranny in my opinion would be misproper placement of the rear. Correct me if i'm wrong fellas. My shaft definitely pulls out of my tranny some when i go from stock height to all the way up, and stock height to all the way down with my dro's. more on the way down of coarse because it goes lower than heigher. Like physh said we need more info to give you some better input.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks For All The Help.

I Have A 96 Full Size Chevy With A 5-6 Drop On It. Before I Dropped It The Drive Shaft Was On A Downward Slope A Little, But Now That I Have Raised It The Shaft Only Has About A Half An Inch Play And I'm Worried That Once I Cut The Notch In It The Shaft Will Hit The Tans. Any Help You All Can Give Me Will Be Appreciated.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Is this an ex cab truck? If so, do you have any pinion shims installed or a carrier bearing spacer?

Cameron

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Physh1 said:
Is this an ex cab truck? If so, do you have any pinion shims installed or a carrier bearing spacer?

Cameron

I have carrier bearing spacers in (2) but no pinion shims

·
Registered
32 Posts
if it is an ex cab the drive shaft sould not be any deeper in the trany than before, the carrier bearing holds it in place unless you moved the bearing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts