• Buy the new foo!

Votes: 21 100.0%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were going to do a solid axle swap on your truck. Would you:

A) Buy a used 79 ford 60 front for $1000 and rebuild it with a detroit and 35 spline stubs and all that for maybe a total of $2500-3000

B) Buy a brand new front axle that is 35 spline throughout with choice of gears, detroit, warn premium hubs or flanges, dual piston wilwood calipers, and higher pinion than a ford for $2500-3000

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
What axle is this other one? Also I heard the warn hubs suck... but I dont have experiance with them so cant say.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol Warn hubs suck? Where did you hear that? They are currently the strongest on the market only beat by drive flanges...

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Hmm I had just heard a lot of people bitching saying they broke them and then went with milemarkers. Like I said though Ive had zero experiance with them so I was just relaying what I had heard. Also what is this "new" axle you are buying?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
is that what a new axle actually costs compared to an old ass one? like if i was gonna do a swap. damn i would be pissed buyin an old one and paying the same as a new one

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, actually a 60 front from a ford dealer complete like one out of an 03 F350 would probably be close to 8k... And a Dynarape is around 7k... There all ball joint and unit bearings too...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol, all I asked was for everyone to answer the poll... Not ask questions :anitoof:

It's super top secret stuff and I could tell you but then... You know. :burnout:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did you really expect people to say "yeah id rather spend more time for the same amount of money to get an older axle with less desirable parts"? Just spill the beans, can't be that special.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope it's not special so why would any of you want to know?

I guess I should have put it more would you spend $2500 on rebuilding or $3000 on a new one that is readily available.

·
Registered
122 Posts
still probably pay the extra 500. So what center section is this with a higher pinion than a standard HP housing? who would sell them? It might not be special but we are interested :cheers:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm guessing your talking center sections with pinions located higher? So who: currie, rock crusher, dynarape, teraflex...? How much higher is the pinion located? I wouldn't think it would be much considering they all need to use the same HP gear sets and they were designed to be used in a certain location.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only about a 1/2". Also added ground clearance over the ford 60 center section.

Ok fine I'll spill the beans. I'm currently researching an alternative axle for sfa swaps for people... 79 ford hp 60's are getting harder and harder to find and they aren't getting any cheaper. So I'm looking at building my own axle, with all of my own parts aside from carrier, gears, etc. Housing, tubes, knuckles, spindles, etc will all be made by me... Still working a few bugs out but it's coming along. But I'm not going to give away any secrets yet :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts