GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just figured I'd peek in and say hi to some old faces, and let everyone (who doesnt know) what Ive been up to.

some of you may or may not know how my truck was when I frequented these parts a lot, just a cam/bolt on 5.3L with a 150 wet kit, FLT-5 65E, and Yank converter.... well I decided to up the anty some.

First transformation: Oct 08, purchased KBRacing's first full intercooled front mount turbo kit with Master Power 70mm/.96a/r turbo and A/A intercooler. I fueled it with a 255lph Walbro in tank setup and some 60lb injectors, also doing my own tuning with HPT... The 140K mile 5.3L made 464/517 at the wheels on just 6psi and safe tuning. I was more than happy with that and was about ready to feed it 9psi... took it to the track and went 12.51 @ 111 on about 3/4 of a pass melting #7 down at about the 1000ft mark, started breaking up at the 1/8 mi... it was well on its way to 11's with 6psi, but never did it... so It was time for a new motor... the motor went on the night of Dec 12th, at HRP

Came across a great deal on a forged 347ci LS from a member on another site, needed a rebuild, so it got refreshed and dropped into place and kept the MP T-70 and front mount format

DSC01231.jpg

well, lots of heresay, and pointed fingers later, that motor was done at 496 miles, no oil pressure, and made plenty of noise. Never got it above 2psi and about 4000RPM. All while putting 4 oil changes/filters through it. Something was just wrong from the get-go... after lots of discussion, the builder and myself struck a deal and the motor was taken care of. and here's the basic specs

2006 5.3L block
3.902" bore
West Coast Cylinder Head 317's Stg II CNC ported
Probe pistons
Probe rods
total seal rings
Clevite bearings
ported/shimmed LS6 oil pump
LS7 lifters
Comp HD pushrods
LPE GT 2-3 camshaft
Crane dual springs
Crane Ti retainers/locks
Crane gold roller rockers

Got the motor back in March and did a little thinking.... I wanted more :)

Found a Precision Turbo 78GTH polished and ceramic coated for a steal that had never been ran.

newstuff3.jpg

newstuff2.jpg

I really didnt have a timeline to have the motor completed and running so I decided to paint it and do some polishing and detail work. The color is the most popular, but I like it and its not something you see every day... Its classic Chevrolet 6cyl blue.

started like this
before.jpg

primer.jpg

primer2.jpg

firstcoat.jpg

beforeclear.jpg

cleared.jpg

unmasked.jpg

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then I did some mockup....

assembly4.jpg

assembly3.jpg

assembly5-1.jpg

assembly.jpg

assembly2.jpg

Had some long bars built a while back as well.... and got some nice wheels for it too...

driverside.jpg

Chris over at Circle D specialties in Houston really took care of me on the converter... Its a billet 10" converter for a 4L80E that bolts directly to an LS1/5.3L flexplate, no spacers, or flexplate swap needed....

billetconverter2.jpg

newbilletconverter.jpg

Well then it was time to prep the motor/trans for install... it all went in as a unit...

IMG00193.jpg

IMG00195.jpg

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
then the inevitable... I had to stab the thing LOL

IMG00196.jpg

IMG00198.jpg

IMG00197.jpg

I've got more "finished" pics... but havent uploaded them yet... started it for the first time yesterday and everything looks good, no leaks, great pressures, temps were spot on, as well as idle AFR, but it needs more tuning as always.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Luke, I've just got to finish up my 80E segment swap and cinch a few things down in the reworked rear suspension. I'm going to take my time with the pinion angle this time, last time it was apart, I just threw some shims in that looked right LOL. looking for -3, to -3.5* pinion angle

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
Thanks Luke, I've just got to finish up my 80E segment swap and cinch a few things down in the reworked rear suspension. I'm going to take my time with the pinion angle this time, last time it was apart, I just threw some shims in that looked right LOL. looking for -3, to -3.5* pinion angle
Awesome. :head:

Hopefully I can get to the track soon with this converter and see what it does for me, last time was a flop, cant remember if I told you that or not.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:drool:

Nice!!!! :rocking:

What wheels are those?
Boyd Smoothie 2's in 18x10... the fronts are 18x8

Awesome. :head:

Hopefully I can get to the track soon with this converter and see what it does for me, last time was a flop, cant remember if I told you that or not.
no, you didnt, hope you get it all lined out.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Looks great Ben. Did you have your manifold coated somewhere? I'd like to get mine done somewhere before I install it.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used flameproof VHT, but I wrapped it and sprayed it with DEI black silicone before it went in the truck. looking back on it, I would have just wrapped it from the get-go... I'd advise you to use 1" wide wrap on the primaries if you choose to wrap them as well... I used 2" and it was a PITA

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, it moves under its own power as of today!!!! :D

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Damn that looks badass, can't wait to see some more finished results! Nice photos.
I'm jealous.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
looking good Ben. i've been following it over on PT.net for a while now.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks!!!

Damn that looks badass, can't wait to see some more finished results! Nice photos.
I'm jealous.
I appreciate it, I've got some to upload.... probably get to that today sometime

:bawl: its so beautiful... quality.
LOL, I took my time and like I said, having no leaks was my main goal from the get go, and wasnt worried about how it looked, just so happens that the non leaky way was also the good looking way :D

looking good Ben. i've been following it over on PT.net for a while now.
Thanks dude, ignore all the other BS in the thread hahaha, this thing should see pavement tomorrow...

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
put a couple miles on it.... so far the 4L80E is a welcome change, should definitely help traction... feels like leaving in 2nd gear with my 60E hahahaha

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
put a couple miles on it.... so far the 4L80E is a welcome change, should definitely help traction... feels like leaving in 2nd gear with my 60E hahahaha
yeah, that's quite a difference in ratios, isn't it? What ring and pinion are you running with the 80E?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Man that looks sweet. I saw your thread over on PT.net for the GTG at Evadale on the 20th. I may try to make it out and spectate the event. I wanna see that beast run!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts